Why become a member? ×

on board souncard influence

lurksalot

This one has just struck me now that I am rolling my Composition in glitter , as it doesn't polish so well, and I have noticed a big difference in the mix when using (the same) headphones through the interface playback and the onboard soundcard.
the onboard sound is bottom heavy , lacking clarity down there and light in the mids , yet the interface sound is pretty sweet , even if I do say so without great authority !
I cant find a way of checking any adjustable tonal adjustments on the computer , so is it fair to assume that the interface version will not be colouring the sound , but the onboard soundcard is ?

Any pointers on the issue will be exremely welcome .

I don't get to listen too much music properly nowadays ;( it tends to be in the van and it also tends to be radio so quality listening is a bit awkward , also just to rub it in , my phone has loads of music on it but I hate using earphones when I am out and about , and getting music on it is a right phaff aswell , as it is synced to an old lappy , but you have given me an idea to try , I can switch the monitors from the interface to the computer headphone out , so I will give that a try to see the difference.

Unless you've got a specific audiophile soundcard, a decent interface DAC will beat the[i] bejesus[/i] out of it...
However, if you're mixing with, say, Beats headphones, you'll probably have a bass light mix as Beats over-exaggerate in the bottom...
So unless you've got transparent monitoring kit I'd check on at least two systems until you're used to how it will actually sound through your chosen system.

It is daft isn't it , I have probably read all about this in the last year , books , and seen articles, advice on threads and posts and even on sales blurb for bits of kit , somehow you think you know the stuff , then all of a sudden I pick up on a detail where plugging headphones in to the computer as opposed to the interface makes a difference to what I am hearing and leads to a question I should know the answer to already :gas:
Even further , I remember commenting that my mixes on soundcloud seemed duller than my reaper mixes , yet that could be simply down to where I plugged my phones in , and again , I might mix through the interface if I have done some recording and then at another time just plug in the computer to work on it later , and every time, my mix is being messed with before It even gets to my ears. :o
I guess sometimes you have to experience things to understand what it means , and the sad thing though is that I only picked up on this by accident .
with the phones plugged into interface , I played rendered mix and it was on the computer speakers , so I changed the phones over , I then though that I must be able to send the sounds to the interface to stop having to mess around changing the phones over , yes I found out how to do it , and because It was effectively a switched comparison the difference became obvious.
So after messing with this mixing malarkey for nearly 2 years ,I have just reached the first step , and it is raising far more questions than answers :lol:

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1416653595' post='2612270']...
So after messing with this mixing malarkey for nearly 2 years ,I have just reached the first step , and it is raising far more questions than answers :lol:
[/quote]

Do yourself justice; that's pretty much 'par' for the course, or even slightly precocious. Some folks spend 40 years and still miss the obvious. No, don't ask how I know. :mellow:[size=4] [/size]

An onboard soundcard will be designed to offer a hi-fi sound with typically heavier bass and more sparkle in the highs. Your audio interface is aiming for a true reflection of the sound.

I use an Asus Xonar Essence STX as my "onboard" sound which is a very nice and highly regarded £150 soundcard and a Focusrite Forte as my interface and I get the same difference that you're describing.