Why become a member? ×

RIP Jimmy Ruffin - dies aged 78

skankdelvar

Singer Jimmy Ruffin just passed away having been seriously ill for some time and resident for the last few months in a Las Vegas ICU.

The less famous brother of Temptations singer David Ruffin, Jimmy nevertheless made his mark with one of Motown's most achingly beautiful singles. He subsequent enjoyed modest success and devoted the last twenty years of his life to anti-drug advocacy in the wake of his brother's death from an overdose in 1991. Ruffin had been working on a new album for some time which remains unreleased.

Anyway, here's the big one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQU4sIn96M4

Few years ago the agency my function band were signed to approached us to see if we were up for doing some UK dates
as the band for a US singer, as we had a 3 piece brass section. It never came off, but I found out later it was for Jimmy Ruffin.
I would have done it for nothing just to play the great bassline in 'What becomes of the brokenhearted' every night.
A very sad loss. RIP

My fave Motown track , while a bit young to know its release , my elder sister had Motown albums and I recall this on a compilation album that I played to death after an experience of unrequited love in the 3rd year at school :rolleyes:
As I am so familiar with the song and the name I was quite surprised that he wasn't far more proliferous.

RIP