Why become a member? ×

Upgrading from MM Stingray SUB USA to full MM 2EQ, is it worth it?

Andytre

Iv been playing a Musicman Stingray SUB USA for around 7 years now, and i love the blooming thing, other basses have come and gone (Fender, Shecter, Yamaha, Spector) but the old SUB has always been there as my studio and main gigging bass, and even after all these years and loads of use its still in pretty damn good condition apart form a couple of paint chips on the headstock. the question is, is it REALLY worth upgrading to full Musicman stingray (2eq or 3eq)?

would love some honest opinions!

The USA subs are really good and you wont find much improvement imo, the 3 EQ doesn't sound as nice as any version of the 2 EQ but and its a big but, the 3 EQ is much easier to get a good live sound with especially in a room that is notoriously awkward to get a bass to sit in the mix, the ceramic pickup usa Sterling or older Stingray 5 is even easier to get to cut through in any band setting.

Worth it? Probably not, worth doing for the joys of a nice usa built bass for a couple of hundred quid more if you sell the SUB that you wont lose a penny on? Probably? :)

I've had two of both, I like the SUB for value for money but I prefered the contours, woods used and feel of the regular Stingray. I never liked Basswood bodies on Fenders, but the Bongo made me rethink that opinion on Music Man which is why I gave my second SUB a try. If your SUB is doing it for you, your quids in, they are lovely basses.

Edit: I'm with Pete, I love the 2 band eq myself. Though the bass knob often needs toning down at times to adapt to situations. The 3 band have more zing I reckon, great if you want more mids and attack perhaps.

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Andytre' timestamp='1416506839' post='2611016']
cheers for the info guys, the contours would be a bonus i played with a friends Ray5 and it did feel good even though im not really used to 5 string basses. i also don't know if i would be able to part with SUB if i bought a new one either! haha
[/quote]

Easily sorted, buy a Stingray with a maple fingerboard, my fave anyway, and then you have two with tonal differences...GAS justification sorted! Happy saving.

[quote name='Andytre' timestamp='1416500279' post='2610936']
Iv been playing a Musicman Stingray SUB USA for around 7 years now, and i love the blooming thing, other basses have come and gone (Fender, Shecter, Yamaha, Spector) but the old SUB has always been there as my studio and main gigging bass, and even after all these years and loads of use its still in pretty damn good condition apart form a couple of paint chips on the headstock. the question is, is it REALLY worth upgrading to full Musicman stingray (2eq or 3eq)?

would love some honest opinions!
[/quote]

The short answer is... NO.

The long answer is... NOT REALLY, NO.

:P

Seriously, unless you'd just want the look of a Stingray, or the lack of body contours bothered you, or you wanted the 3-band EQ, or really wanted a maple fingerboard, the move to a Stingray would not be worth it.

If you want the look of the Stingray, then get one, but don't expect it to feel better or sound better.

If the lack of body contours annoys you, then get one, and enjoy the same sound you already had.

If you want a 3-band preamp... buy the John East MMSR 3-band with 3 knobs (one is dual stacked), and enjoy the better preamp on your existing bass.

If you want a maple fingerboard... ok, fine, get one! :lol:

I own two SUBs and a Stingray (originally 2EQ). The Stingray has the MMSR preamp now, the SUBs are stock. It's just different looks, but essentially the same bass. The only thing that makes them sound different is the MMSR preamp I installed on the Stingray, and that one of the SUBs have the pickup wired in series (from new! a late 2003 model) rather than parallel, which gives it a slightly punchier sound. But the stock Stingray and the stock SUB that has the pickup wired in parallel (2006 model) were pretty much identical.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1416532653' post='2611314']
I own two SUBs and a Stingray (originally 2EQ). The Stingray has the MMSR preamp now, the SUBs are stock. It's just different looks, but essentially the same bass.
[/quote]

I've got similar, but the other way round - my SUB was originally a passive one so I fitted a East MMSR 3 band, and my 'Ray is a maple necked 3EQ.

I definitely prefer the feel of the contoured body and the unfinished neck on the Ray, but sound wise they're harder to pick a favourite. The 2EQ + sweepable mid setup on the East preamp is an amazing bit of kit, and even more versatile than the MM3EQ - but I can usually get a sound I like out of either just as easily.

I upgraded from a SUB to a badly described, photo'd and underpriced black Ray on eBay, which turned out to be a gloss-necked maple 88 which is the best wooden fretted bass I've ever owned, I got lucky. A Ray will look better, possible feel better if you like satin finish necks for later ones, but won't sound or play and better than a SUB. Your call if the extra outlay is worth it,

This would be the dream

http://www.thomann.de/gb/music_man_stingray_4_rw_pb.htm

But my S.U.B (does this stand for sports utility bass or stingrays ugly brother :P) is teal with rosewood and a black or clear pick guard depending on how I feel, so looks wise it's very similar as I'm a sucker for teal! But I do like a satin finish neck. Decisions decision!!

Edited by Andytre

I've had both, and I preferred the USA Rays, but then I'm a sucker for satin maple necks (I always wash my hands before playing, so none of my Ray necks ever got grubby at all) and I really don't like painted necks. As above, though, I'd never buy a new one given the secondhand prices you can get them for.

Another shout for John East's preamps (on anything - I have three basses with U-Retros) - that sweepable mid gives so much control on the bass it's amazing.

I have very tempted to buy a Sub several times.

However once you've had the best dressed US version (especially the Classic version), then the whole experience is different - they're gorgeous basses. I don't begrudge paying full whack for my new Classic Ray ) in 2010) - I would have had to wait at least 12 months to get a secondhand one and even then I've only ever seen one in the same colour for sale secondhand in the UK.

Three of my EB Rays are currently worth more 2nd hand than they were new - and a couple of others are getting there - so not bad eh 😉

after all the positivity around the east pre amps, iv looked into them decided ill give one ago as everything iv heard about them is grea[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]t! going to go for the [/font][b]MMSR 3 KNOB 3 BAND [/b][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]for the sweepable mid and hopefully quell the GAS for a while! cheers for the advice guys may have saved me around £700 (for now!) is it worth getting it with the control plate? or will the factory one on the S.U.B fit everything nicely? [/font]

[quote name='Andytre' timestamp='1416831575' post='2613945']
after all the positivity around the east pre amps, iv looked into them decided ill give one ago as everything iv heard about them is grea[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]t! going to go for the [/font][b]MMSR 3 KNOB 3 BAND [/b][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]for the sweepable mid and hopefully quell the GAS for a while! cheers for the advice guys may have saved me around £700 (for now!) is it worth getting it with the control plate? or will the factory one on the S.U.B fit everything nicely? [/font]
[/quote]

Best to reuse the plate, I think.

[quote name='stoo' timestamp='1416832024' post='2613953']
Don't get the control plate - it won't fit your bass. IIRC they're sized for the old OLP basses. Didn't fit my EBMM SUB anyway..
[/quote]

Good call!

I have bought a few, without plate, but yeah, the very first I bought came with a plate and I remember the screw positions did not match well, but it did on my black OLP!
I emailed John about that, he said he wasn't aware of it, and left it at that.

So, definitely... no plate! :)

I'm on my 2nd USA Stingray (the so-called 133 series that come with a gig bag) and they are quite simply the BEST basses I have ever played. Over the years I've owned them all and I'd take one of these over anything else (for the price) any day. Taking the playability and sound out of the equation for a minute, the finish on these things is just stunning.

Add a MM hard case and you've got yourself a genuine USA Stringray with all the usual bells and whistles.

I put a clear pickguard on my blue pearl one and I'm going to add the East 3-band eq later:

[URL=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/howardtjmoon/media/IMG_2455_zps2eca369b.jpg.html][IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/howardtjmoon/IMG_2455_zps2eca369b.jpg[/IMG][/URL]