Why become a member? ×

Lightweight knurled P Bass knobs...

I put a KiOgon wiring loom in my Korean Squier P a while back and the CTS pots were too big for the control knobs, so I then temporarily fitted some Musicman knobs and have since replaced them with genuine Fender ones.

The only thing is they all seem bloody heavy and I need as light as possible; I don't know if they're chromed brass or zinc or something. Does anybody do lightweight (aluminium?) knobs that will fit? I want to keep the look but lose the weight if possible.

Edited by 4000

I have in the region of 8 (yes, 8) prolapsed discs. You'd be surprised by the difference something like that can make; have you felt the weight of those knobs? :o With the original loom and knobs the bass was noticeably lighter, to me if not to someone more able-bodied. However the original loom was pretty pants. Now when I strap on the bass it's just gone over the manageable level to approx 9lbs. I had a similar issue with my chambered Les Paul, which was 8lbs but noticeably body heavy and which caused me issues. I changed the tailpiece to a Creamtone aluminium one and it's made all the difference in the world. Of course at some stage I'd probably change the tuners too, unless I just sell the bass on and get a lighter P (easily said, not easily done and I do like my Squier more than many supposedly "better" Ps I've tried).

Before someone suggests it, I'll add that I spend most of my time playing sitting down these days, but occasionally I have to stand up and I need to factor that in.

Edited by 4000

Not ideal but just throwing it out there if ultimate weight saving is a goal. You could always hot wire the pickup to the jack running no pots at all. Of course you would then have to make adjustments via the amp if your sitting down this might be more of an option if near an amp. Get a pick guard made up without the holes in. Would look pretty cool. When its time to sell be an easy job to convert back.

Here you go:

http://www.wdmusic.com/tele_knob_aluminum_chrome_plate_1_4_hole_set_2.html

I bought some myself from here as I've also gone all-out lightening up my VM Precision V (9.8lbs down to 8.6lbs) by way of aluminium knobs, Hipshot aluminium A style bridge, Lic by Hipshot Ultralite tuners and finally routing out most of the wood under the pickguard. Balances perfectly and sounds better now actually, alot more resonant.

You have my deepest sympathies regarding your back mate and I know it's no joke as I have a big prolapsed disc and two desicated discs at the base of my spine.
I just can't bear any weight anymore but now I can play my bass again standing up for a short set.

I hope you getting some decent physio/rehab treatment as strengthening my core has improved my condition a bit.

All the best and good luck with the knobs!

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1417907387' post='2625099']
Here you go:

[url="http://www.wdmusic.com/tele_knob_aluminum_chrome_plate_1_4_hole_set_2.html"]http://www.wdmusic.c...hole_set_2.html[/url]

I bought some myself from here as I've also gone all-out lightening up my VM Precision V (9.8lbs down to 8.6lbs) by way of aluminium knobs, Hipshot aluminium A style bridge, Lic by Hipshot Ultralite tuners and finally routing out most of the wood under the pickguard. Balances perfectly and sounds better now actually, alot more resonant.

You have my deepest sympathies regarding your back mate and I know it's no joke as I have a big prolapsed disc and two desicated discs at the base of my spine.
I just can't bear any weight anymore but now I can play my bass again standing up for a short set.

I hope you getting some decent physio/rehab treatment as strengthening my core has improved my condition a bit.

All the best and good luck with the knobs!
[/quote]

Really appreciate this Si. I realise the tuners etc will make a bigger difference but I figured I start at the cheaper end first; the new knobs really are noticeably heavier. FWIW my bridge is a Korean BBOT and as such is fairly insubstantial anyway...

I had been planning a Limelight build before a broken boiler interrupted it, but am now wondering if he can do relic-d lightweight parts......of course if I fall over an enormous wad of cash in the meantime I'll just but that '65 in the Gallery; it weighs nothing! :)

• 2 weeks later...