Why become a member? ×

Grease

Graham

I'm sure it's been remarked on before, but how much fun are the songs from Grease? I've started learning a couple (Summer Nights and You're The One I Want), as they're just so enjoyable to play.

I've never seen the film, so are there other songs in it with great basslines?

• Like 1

Did you know. David Hungate. from [url="http://www.allmusic.com/artist/toto-mn0000006320"]Toto[/url] played the bass line on the original "[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27re_the_One_That_I_Want"]You're the One That I Want[/url]" recording. Mind you this guy is still big on the sessions scene.
[b] ‎[/b]

Some years ago I played in the 'pit' band for a school's production of Grease. I say pit but they wanted us to be visible so we were on a minstrels gallery over the back of the stage. It was an independent school with many wealthy parents sending their kids there. One of them (in America) crated up their original Wurlitzer oil-lit jukebox and shipped it over and had it collected 2 weeks later - just to appear on the stage.

Anyway, I have to agree that all the songs are great fun to play, all the more so with an ensemble cast belting them out.

• 5 years later...

I watched Grease last night on TV. I’ve seen it many times, in fact I saw it on it’s original cinema release in 1978 when I was nine, but not since I was a kid. 

Several things struck me: all the ‘adult’ content that completely went over my head at the time; what great songs comprise the score; and how good the bass playing is. 

‘You’re The One That I Want’ in particular has a great bass line and a great tone. Not sure who played it as several bassists are credited across the whole score. Great stuff. 

Musicals are usually a complete turn off for me but I thoroughly enjoyed watching Grease.