Why become a member? ×

Soundhole Pickups

datainadequate

Does anyone have any recommendations for soundhole pickups for an acoustic guitar? I have a nice Ayers AS that I got a few years ago with no intention of ever using it amplified. Of course, now I want to use it amplified, but I don't want to go drilling holes in it. So, what actually works and doesn't produce feedback and gives a halfway ok sound?

Thanks,

John

[quote name='datainadequate' timestamp='1416611526' post='2612018']
Does anyone have any recommendations for soundhole pickups for an acoustic guitar? I have a nice Ayers AS that I got a few years ago with no intention of ever using it amplified. Of course, now I want to use it amplified, but I don't want to go drilling holes in it. So, what actually works and doesn't produce feedback and gives a halfway ok sound?

Thanks,

John
[/quote]

The LR Baggs M1 Active is my favourite. Really great sound, adjustable pole pieces and a quick and hassle-free installation :-)

Chiming in with my sound engineer hat on:

DON'T get a single coil magnetic pickup for an acoustic guitar. Loads of people have them, for some inexplicable reason, and they nearly always buzz like a bastard as soon as you get them anywhere near any lights.

When I am president they will be made illegal, and anyone turning up a gig expecting to use one will be burnt at the stake.

Humbucking ones are fine.

[color=#00000F][font=Merriweather, serif][size=4]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]I've tried a few.[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#00000F][font=Merriweather, serif][size=4]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Fishman Neo-D – got one for my godson, simple, actually pretty good, scores 7/10 cos it's cheap
Fishman Rare Earth humbucker – currently have one, a bit expensive and slightly lower-middy but reliable and EQ-able, 8/10. Never tried the single coil
LR Baggs M1 - available active or passive (latter needs external preamp), toppy, slightly Stratty-sounding to me, picks up soundboard vibration and can click when you hit it with a pick, needs to be hung carefully so pickup sides don't touch soundhole, loved mine at first, don't anymore 6/10
DiMarzio - mostly not much cop but discontinued DP-139 is ace, 8/10. Angel model maybe worth a look
Dean Markley - pretty average, 5/10
Shadow, Seymour Duncan: haven't tried any
Sunrise – heavy, expensive, needs own preamp, not very acoustic-y, I like 'em but hey... 7/10
Fishman Blackstack, copy of Sunrise, heavy and electric-sounding 5/10 [/font][/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#00000F][font=Merriweather, serif][size=4]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Naturally all just my opinion... hope this helps.[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1416903484' post='2614764'] The LR Baggs M1 Active is my favourite. Really great sound, adjustable pole pieces and a quick and hassle-free installation :-) [/quote]

Thanks ske21. I have heard many good reports of the LR Baggs M1 and M80. The only reason I haven't just gone out and got one of them is the price! When ah were a lad ah could ave bought five guitars for t' price o' one o' them! On the other hand, I realise there is always an element of you get what you paid for.

[quote name='paulbuzz' timestamp='1416931115' post='2615173'] Chiming in with my sound engineer hat on: DON'T get a single coil magnetic pickup for an acoustic guitar. Loads of people have them, for some inexplicable reason, and they nearly always buzz like a bastard as soon as you get them anywhere near any lights. When I am president they will be made illegal, and anyone turning up a gig expecting to use one will be burnt at the stake. Humbucking ones are fine. [/quote]

Thanks for that piece of info. I really do [i][b]not[/b][/i] want to inflict amplified buzzing on anyone. :)

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1416934332' post='2615231'] [color=#00000F][font=Merriweather, serif][size=4] [size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]I've tried a few.[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#00000F][font=Merriweather, serif][size=4] [size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Fishman Neo-D – got one for my godson, simple, actually pretty good, scores 7/10 cos it's cheap Fishman Rare Earth humbucker – currently have one, a bit expensive and slightly lower-middy but reliable and EQ-able, 8/10. Never tried the single coil LR Baggs M1 - available active or passive (latter needs external preamp), toppy, slightly Stratty-sounding to me, picks up soundboard vibration and can click when you hit it with a pick, needs to be hung carefully so pickup sides don't touch soundhole, loved mine at first, don't anymore 6/10 DiMarzio - mostly not much cop but discontinued DP-139 is ace, 8/10. Angel model maybe worth a look Dean Markley - pretty average, 5/10 Shadow, Seymour Duncan: haven't tried any Sunrise – heavy, expensive, needs own preamp, not very acoustic-y, I like 'em but hey... 7/10 Fishman Blackstack, copy of Sunrise, heavy and electric-sounding 5/10 [/font][/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#00000F][font=Merriweather, serif][size=4] [size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Naturally all just my opinion... hope this helps.[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color] [/quote]

Wow, that's a lot of pickups you've tried! Really helps, especially to hear that the LR Baggs might have some downsides.

[quote name='datainadequate' timestamp='1417004639' post='2615924']
...especially to hear that the LR Baggs might have some downsides.
[/quote]

Hmm, I may have been a touch harsh.

I do like the M1 for solo stuff. Once though I was in a trio and the other guitarist had a Rare Earth bucker, and eight out of 10 times in walk-up situations - open mics, folk nights, never a soundcheck, that stuff - he kicked my arse. I crumbled, and moved over in self-defense.

M1 possibly has a more silvery, acoustic-ish sound but in those situations the Fishman was just A Bigger Knife (see Croc Dundee).

I've been using the M1 Active for the last couple of years, and I've lost count of the times I was complimented on my tone. Brilliant pickup!
Trouble is, I've just got hold of the M80. Really brilliant pickup! :rolleyes:
First time in ages I've felt excited about a guitar pickup.
Currently I've got both in the same guitar - bit of a squeeze to put it mildly - for comparison. Trying to work out how to show this to anyone not actually in the shop..

• 3 weeks later...