Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Trace Elliot V8 - number 86/100
£2100

Kiwi

I've decided to embark on a rationalisation of my purchases over the last 10 years as the cash is needed for another aspiration. So I'm putting this mythical monster up for sale.

For those who don't know...Trace Elliot did a limited run of valve amps in the mid 90's named V4, V6 and V8. The V6 was only ever offered in green carpet. The V4 was available in green carpet but 25 black vinyl versions were offered each in combo and head format. The V8 [size=4]was only available in the black vinyl format and estimates suggest only 100 were made. Not only rare but also exclusive and for a while was part of Entwhistle's set up.[/size]

What you get is...monstrous lows, i[size=4]t's an Ampeg on steroids...its raw, its beefy it's very rock. It's the musical equivalent of being slapped in the face with a huge, bovril covered male prosthetic by a sh*t smiling Gene Simmons.[/size]

[size=4]I'm not into rock, bovril or Gene Simmons...I'm into funk so that's why I'm selling it.[/size]

[size=4]Features include:[/size][list]
[*]Footswitching channels - clean and...less clean (depending on how you set the gain on the second channel, grindy fuzz is available if you want it.)
[*][size=4]A three band passive eq with centre for the mid frequencies shifted via a pull pot. Personally, I don't understand the point as it doesn't make a big difference considering how beefy the amp sounds...but anyway. [/size]
[*][size=4]A footswitchable compressor is single channel and you can set the threshold and ratio.[/size]
[*][size=4]Series effects loop - stick your favourite OD in if the channels don't satisfy [/size]
[*][size=4]The power can be halved from 400w to 200w using a switch on the back into either a 2 or 4 ohm load. [/size]
[*][size=4]Speaker output which can be either through a jack or XLR.[/size]
[/list]
A copy of the service manual is available here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/26854018/Trace-Elliot-V8-Service-Manual

The science bit:

No trades. I really need the cash for a non bass related purchase.

First person with the money gets the amp. A 10% deposit to secure the amp is absolutely OK if you need to raise funds to purchase so long as the balance is paid within 30 days. Otherwise you risk losing the deposit.

If it doesn't sell on here within 4 or so weeks, it will be sold on commission through a selected bass retailer. So the cost of commission will be added to the cost of the amp.

Collection from SE London is preferred - this amp weighs at least 25kg (still lighter than my old Mesa Bass 400+ though). However I can deliver within London/Kent/M25 south for the cost of Zipcar hire (£8.50/hour) subject to availability.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1416677622' post='2612596']
In all honesty, it's not that heavy for a valve amp. My Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ was 45kg when in its shockmounted road case.
[/quote]

Now that is heavy :)
A few years ago I had an orange AD 200 in a flight case.
I could lift it but not that fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh is that my old one? I'm sure it was a similar serial... Have to try and dig out the pics!

Haven't found anything since that even comes close for rock tone IMHO and definitely a manageable weight.

If only I had the cash and a more understanding Mrs...!

• 1 month later...