Why become a member? ×

Steinberger XL25A - back up for sale! £2000
£2000

Kiwi

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've decided to embark on a rationalisation of my purchases over the last 10 years as the cash is needed for another aspiration. This iconic instrument needs no introduction, it was built in 1984 and is a early narrow width 5 string which makes it fairly uncommon.[/font][/color]

Basically, Steinberger fitted 5 string bridges, nuts (and modified pickups to cope with the wider string spacing) to their four string instruments ahead of developing wide necked 5 strings. The string spacing on this bass is a tad over 13mm but still comfortable to play for those who don't have fat fingers.

The most suprising thing is the amount of low end this instrument puts out which is at odds with its diminutive appearance. The HAZ labs single pot eq boosts treble and cuts bass in one direction, and cuts treble/boosts bass in the other. One of the fattest sounding eq's I have encountered. No surprise that Steinberger XL2's remain popular with reggae/dub bassists.

There are no issues and the bass is in excellent condition..I'm tempted to say near mint because I haven't been able to find any signs of careless use...or user wear for that matter. Even the paint on the tuning knobs is unworn.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Features include:[/size][/font][/color][list]
[*][size=4]Molded all composite construction - different to shell based construction of status/modulus etc. There is no wood in this bass.[/size]
[*][size=4]34" scale [/size]
[*][size=4]Strap plate for perfect balance[/size]
[*][size=4]Original gig bag [/size][size=4]case[/size]
[*][size=4]Original user guide/manual[/size]
[*][size=4]Controls are volume, tone and pickup pan[/size]
[/list]
[size=4]Science bit:[/size]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]No trades. I really need the cash for a non bass related purchase.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]First person with the money gets the bass. A 10% deposit to secure the instrument is absolutely OK if you need to raise funds to purchase so long as the balance is paid within 30 days. Otherwise you risk losing the deposit.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If it doesn't sell on here within 4 or so weeks, it will be sold on commission through a selected bass retailer. So the cost of commission will be added to the cost of the bass.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I would prefer collection from SE London although I can deliver within the M25/Kent area for the cost of zipcar hire (£8.50/hour subject to availability). [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4] Or if you work/visit London, I can meet you at a train station at the weekend, or if you are visiting the City of London, I can meet anywhere between Farringdon and Liverpool Street during the week.[/size][/font][/color] Edited by Kiwi
More pics added

You will need to fit a set of strings that have an appropriate gauge in order to tune to high C, but otherwise yes this would be possible. For a composite instrument it doesn't sound brittle in the slightest and the upper registers are very clean sounding. A high C tuning could sound beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It does look nice next to the Status...two slices of iconic instrument design involving composites from either side of the pond.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/250151-steinberger-xl25a-5-string-and-status-series-5000-5-string-together/

It would be nice to get a shot of these two, the Alembic AND the Pangborn all together sometime as well.

But the money is going to be used towards something else equally investable.

SWCL.

She Who Complains Loudest.

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1418583369' post='2631436']
Indeed Kiwi - regarding rarity, load up the Steinberger database and search for XL25...doesn't occur much...

[url="http://www.steinbergerworld.com/serial-L.html"]http://www.steinberg...m/serial-L.html[/url]
[/quote]
Cheers! Mine has the serial 3371...which doesn't show up there.