Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Celinder J Update - Ol' No. 2
£1900

Kiwi

[attachment=176933:DSC01825.JPG] [attachment=176934:DSC01828.JPG]

[attachment=176935:DSC01829.JPG] [attachment=176936:DSC01827.JPG]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've decided to embark on a rationalisation of my purchases over the last 10 years as the cash is needed for another aspiration. This bass is the second J Update made by Chris in 1994 for Danish session player Christian Danstrom. It's designed to do the Marcus Miller thing and I actually preferred the warmer sound of this bass over the Skarbee J Update that I used to own.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]The bass has active and passive modes at the flick of a small switch. The original pickups were a bit weedy sounding so I ordered some Celinder upgrades that are more in keeping with a passive 70's jazz bass. I haven't measured the string spacing and the bass has yet to be unpacked but would expect it to be around 18mm. I will check and confirm. [/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]The neck dimensions are worth noting - the nut is half way between a jazz and a precision bass in width. Otherwise the neck is fast and slim.[/size][/font][/color]

The condition of the bass is fair - its been someone's workhorse so has its own share of dings and knocks, a few go through to the wood on the edge of the bass. None are large than the fingernail on my little finger. I did think about getting the bass refinished but to be honest, the dings offer peace of mind - one or two extra knocks are unlikely to affect its value. Having said that, the bass has never been played outside the house during my ownership. The asking price reflects the condition.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Features include:[/size][/font][/color][list]
[*][size=4]Two band eq (I won't be able to confirm the preamp until Tuesday but am sure it's not a Greengrove)[/size]
[*][size=4]Ash body[/size]
[*]Birdseye maple neck
[*][size=4]34" scale[/size]
[*][size=4]70's j[/size][size=4]azz bass spec pickups [/size]
[*][size=4]Weight around 4.8kg[/size]
[/list]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Science bit:[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]No trades. I really need the cash for a non bass related purchase.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]First person with the money gets the bass. A 10% deposit to secure the instrument is absolutely OK if you need to raise funds to purchase so long as the balance is paid within 30 days. Otherwise you risk losing the deposit.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If it doesn't sell on here within 4 or so weeks, it will be sold on commission through a selected bass retailer. So the cost of commission will be added to the cost of the bass.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I would prefer collection from SE London although I can deliver within the M25/Kent area for the cost of zipcar hire (£8.50/hour subject to availability).[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Or if you work/visit London, I can meet you at a train station at the weekend, or if you are visiting the City of London, I can meet anywhere between Farringdon and Liverpool Street during the week.[/font][/color]

Out of sheer interest, I wonder what the preamp is in this bass? And also, those pups - you had them made by Celinder/Armstrong? Are they like the normal SS design humbuckers but moulded without the standard 'ears' as the cavities permit? Just being a geek.. 70's Spec suggests single coils, though obviously the hum buckers are cleverly single coil sounding if that's what they are... Your wording has me curious. Nice looking bass, and bit of history. Best of luck with the sale.

• 2 weeks later...

cheers John :)

For those who requested, I've attached a pic of the preamp circuit. Not sure what the letters ATC mean but perhaps someone out there might be able to enlighten us.

[attachment=178088:DSC_0282.JPG]

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1417992959' post='2625883']
cheers John :)

For those who requested, I've attached a pic of the preamp circuit. Not sure what the letters ATC mean but perhaps someone out there might be able to enlighten us.

[attachment=178088:DSC_0282.JPG]
[/quote]

Never seen one before and I'm a Celinder anorak. The other side of the board would be more enlightening for me as to the system in use/pickup config. Sure it sounds great whatever it is : )

In fairness to Chris (and whomever his supplier is) the back of the board isn't epoxied so could be easily reverse engineered by someone from photos.

John's right, this is a very nice sounding instrument - this one has more snarl than most 70's jazzes (including the 1975 I own) and is warmer than the Skarbee bass (which is why I hung on to it and sold the Skarbee bass). Don't let the looks deceive you.

Ah, too much for me :(

Anything over 9.5lbs and my dodgy shoulder starts to play up going to 10.6lbs definitely wouldn't work for me.

I have found the odd Celinder just creeping under 10lbs but that good old Danish ash just seems to be pretty dense - of course, that could be where a lot of the great tone comes from!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...