Why become a member? ×

Mono Gig Bags

AndyBob09

Are they worth the moolah? What's the benefits of them? Any drawbacks? Are they sturdy? No music shops near me stock them, so I need some advice here. Are there any better alternatives? Right now I have a Protection Racket 7151 rigid bag but it's took bulky for me.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

I really want to try a vertigo out for size before buying as my xylem has unusual proportions, our guitarist uses em and they are great quality, compact and lightweight. Definitely worth the cash in my opinion. I just don't wanna fork out for one if it might not fit my bass.

Edited by winterfire666

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1416671446' post='2612539']
My last acquisition from Bass Direct came in a Mono Vertigo. I'm converted.
Mrs.H is buying me the Dual Vertigo for Christmas.
Expensive, but worth it.
[/quote]

dual vertigo?? i didn't know they manufactured it

I use one of the Vertigo bags. I bought initially as it was all I could really find that would fit the Dingwall in it but it's a great bag. There is great neck support inside and its about as sturdy as I imagine you can do without making it extremely heavy. I generally take it to college with me 3 times a week on public transport and have no complaints.

Another vertigo user here. I walked four miles to a gig in the rain using the mono and no issues whatsoever. Some people say the pocket is small but you can put plenty of charts and the like in there no worries. Plus that boot idea really inspires confidence.

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1416670960' post='2612530']
I really want to try a vertigo out for size before buying as my xylem has unusual proportions, our guitarist uses em and they are great quality, compact and lightweight. Definitely worth the cash in my opinion. I just don't wanna fork out for one if it might not fit my bass.
[/quote]

If you send us exact measurements we can try and set up a bass as close as possible to the same size and measure for you :)

Edit - we did this recently for someone with an extended Alembic and discovered that the only thing that worked was a Hiscox abs case.

Edited by molan

I love them: expensive and definitely worth it! I got a Vertigo, an M-80 and a Dual M-80.
My favourite would be the M-80, the Vertigo is great, but the neck support is a bit narrow for some basses and the pockets are just a bit too tight.
They also make THE strap, as far as I'm concerned.

Echoing all the earlier comments - yes to Vertigo, fantastic cases. The rubber heel is brilliant, esp if you're on / off public transport a lot. Bass is very secure in there, it's really midway between a gig bag and a hard case, you can throw it around.

(BTW, its the earlier model, the M80 they make as a dual case)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1416687846' post='2612701']

If you send us exact measurements we can try and set up a bass as close as possible to the same size and measure for you :)

Edit - we did this recently for someone with an extended Alembic and discovered that the only thing that worked was a Hiscox abs case.
[/quote]

Not exactly sure who it was I spoke to but you guys also made sure they would fit my Dingwall! And even measured strings for me. great service.

edit to answer Ambient : Mine is still as it came from Bass Gear.

Edited by Cameronj279

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1416687846' post='2612701']

[/quote]

thanks ill measure up later and send you an email :^)

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1416697222' post='2612802']

Not exactly sure who it was I spoke to but you guys also made sure they would fit my Dingwall! And even measured strings for me. great service.

edit to answer Ambient : Mine is still as it came from Bass Gear.
[/quote]

Probably Vic at the store - he's generally the 'go to' guy for anything Dingwall :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1416737662' post='2612961']
I've got the M80 single case. For protecting your bass it's good as you are going to get without buying a proper hard case like a Hiscox. As a gig bag I find it very uncomfortable to wear for more than a few minutes, so IMO completely useless.
[/quote]

I lug mine all over the place and always found it really comfortable. I guess partly because we sell them, we get a lot of customers that turn up at the store with a Mono as their everyday gig bag. A lot of these get the train from London and use their bags all over the city and I've never heard anyone complain about them being uncomfortable.

However I have read about other people who haven't got on with them so maybe it's just a 'horses for courses' thing :)

I have just got one of the new Bass Sleeve bags. It's a nice bit of kit and does the job it's supposed to, although I'm not too sure about the storage pouch and a small compartment to put keys / phone would be nice.

Still a nice bag and comfortable enough to wear on your back.

I also have a double iGig bag, which is great and has lots of storage, etc.

I find the straps too close together at the top and because I'm only 5' 6" tall the bottom of the case slaps against the backs of my thighs when I'm walking. The chaep Ritter gig bag it was supposed to replace was far more comfortable to wear. Also the zip has fsiled near the bottom of the bah so I have to be careful not to zip it open all the way anymore.