Why become a member? ×

Lozz196

Just listened to Tony Blackburns Pick of The Pops on Radio 2 - the 2nd half of the show was 1980.

And it was bass-tastic! Really clear, up in the mix bass on most of the songs played, ranging from Bowie, Spandau, OMD, ABBA, Denis Waterman (theme tune to Minder).

So much for progress in recording and better technology/gear, bassists certainly seemed to be getting a better deal back then than now.

After my time... ;)[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] [/size][/font][/color] ;)[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] [/size][/font][/color] :lol:[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] [/size][/font][/color] :lol:[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] [/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1416668652' post='2612508']
So much for progress in recording and better technology/gear, bassists certainly seemed to be getting a better deal back then than now.
[/quote]

+1,00000+++ on this. One of my (numerous) sore points is how 'bass' has been reduced on record in the most part for the last 25-ish years to a dull thump. Or in the case of 'Later' on the tele, off the map completely!

On the radio this morning was Diana Ross' (admittedly quite poor) version of 'Why Do Fools...' - and first thing I noticed was the high-level bass in the mix. Bit too much slappy poppy for my tastes, but amazing how a 'pop' track packs so much bottom.

Current case is the new Foos album. I actually like it (first 'rock' album I have for a while) - but besides the bass riff track (think it's 'Outside'), the bass tone on the album is, IMHO, rubbish. Just a load of floor-shaking mush in a wall of sound. All those lovely Precisions he's got as well!

Bring back bass definition! B)

Edited by spongebob

I often get a comment or two that the bass is too loud in the mix during an interval etc. I ignore it. Stood beside my amp I set the vol so I can hear it clearly, but also so I can still hear the guitards and vox. I'm not in the business of turning it down so far I cannot even hear myself!

Software emulators and lazy engineers IMO.
In those days, the Amp got a Mic on it.
It sounded awful solo, but stick it in the mix and you had a bass guitar.
These days engineers just want the bass done, standard software woofilater software and it sounds like a Tuba, dead as a door nail.
Play any bass, don't bother changing strings, because when it goes through the software, your going out of the mix in to a dull far away sub sonic place.

A lot of bassists I hear stuck permanently down the bottom of the mix are down there simply because what they're playing doesn't belong anywhere else.

At the risk of being hanged drawn and quartered, if you want to move up the mix then you need to consider why you've ended up down there all the while in the first place.

It [b]could[/b] be because of the genre you're playing and there's really not a lot you can do about that unless you can reinvent it in some way.

On the other hand, it's very easy to hide behind 'muffle', especially if you're not confident, comfortable and/or committed in stamping your style or personality on the material.

Even once you're 'there' you have to work at it to stay there.

[quote]At the risk of being hanged drawn and quartered, if you want to move up the mix then you need to consider why you've ended up down there all the while in the first place.[/quote]

If you are talking about when playing live, well the bass player is usually the one stood nearest the volume on the bass amp... you are as prominent as you want to be. Failing that buying beer for the sound man if you DI will see a higher mix!

For recording, well you've go to be vocal and make your case to lift yourself up so you are more than a muffled drone in the background.

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1416688009' post='2612705']
I am trying to ensure the bass is definitely in the mix

[url="https://soundcloud.com/yodaclub/walkaway-radio-edit"]https://soundcloud.c...away-radio-edit[/url]
[/quote]

And it certainly is, some nice melodic up front playing there.

The 80's was a stunning, innovative, exciting and creative time for bass players. There has been no other era to match it imho.

This was the era of the Wal, Status, Steinberger, Jaydee, Vigier, Musicman, Alembic etc etc etc. Fenders were widely regarded as seriously boring and uncool.

How things have changed.

Edited by White Cloud