Why become a member? ×

Luminlay Markers

bassgurumonster

There is a UK company that sell the same thing, Rothko and Frost

http://www.rothkoandfrost.com/ip-luminous-glow-in-the-dark-side-fret-marker-dot-inlay-rod/

I have used these and also Lumnlay and can't tell the difference. If you want genuine Luminlay, don't worry about ordering, they are spot on.

• 2 weeks later...

Get someone else to do it if you aren't confident but it's basically a matter of drilling out the old dots (to a depth of around 4mm) with a woodworking bit and superglue'ing the rod in place. Cut it off 1mm or so above the surface and then file/sand the ends down once you've done all the dots. Use lots of masking tape when filing/sanding and take it slow. Polish with 0000 grade wire wool.

• 8 months later...

Reviving a zombie thread, but I installed these on my Squier project bass and was amazed...A pretty straightforward job - go slow and use plenty of masking tape, but what a difference! I used my Maplins own brand "Dremel" to drill out the neck and it worked a treat. Get one of those neat little torches to activate them, too. I got my kit from the Luminlay website and it came from Japan in about 5 days!

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1440794153' post='2853990']
Reviving a zombie thread, but I installed these on my Squier project bass and was amazed...A pretty straightforward job - go slow and use plenty of masking tape, but what a difference! I used my Maplins own brand "Dremel" to drill out the neck and it worked a treat. Get one of those neat little torches to activate them, too. I got my kit from the Luminlay website and it came from Japan in about 5 days!
[/quote]

What was the total cost with taxes and postage please?

I ordered the 2.5mm rod and the dinky little torch dealio. With P and P, it came to £16.89. You'll need some masking tape, snips, a woodworking drill bit, some medium rough (340ish) and some fine (800-1200) sandpaper. I'm no expert in the fine art of woodworking, so I guess it took me about an hour-ish. Not a tricky job, but I went slow. There's a really useful guide on the Luminlay site and a few similar projects on YouTube. Practice on a bit of scrap first.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1416847408' post='2614227']
There is a UK company that sell the same thing, Rothko and Frost

[url="http://www.rothkoandfrost.com/ip-luminous-glow-in-the-dark-side-fret-marker-dot-inlay-rod/"]http://www.rothkoand...-dot-inlay-rod/[/url]

I have used these and also Lumnlay and can't tell the difference. If you want genuine Luminlay, don't worry about ordering, they are spot on.
[/quote]

R+F seems to have moved the page; this seems to be the new page:
http://www.rothkoandfrost.com/glow-in-the-dark-luminescent-inlay-dots-pack-of-12/

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1440979429' post='2855128']
I ordered the 2.5mm rod and the dinky little torch dealio. With P and P, it came to £16.89. You'll need some masking tape, snips, a woodworking drill bit, some medium rough (340ish) and some fine (800-1200) sandpaper. I'm no expert in the fine art of woodworking, so I guess it took me about an hour-ish. Not a tricky job, but I went slow. There's a really useful guide on the Luminlay site and a few similar projects on YouTube. Practice on a bit of scrap first.
[/quote]

Thanks, may install some in my fretless. I see they do fret markers too for fretless, they would have looked cool!