Why become a member? ×

Still looking at TC and Hartke

isteen

Looking for a powerful and low priced head.
I like both the TC Electronic BH500 and Hartke LH500.
Both within the desired price range and wattage.
For playing party music from the 60/70/80's and no metal whatsoever, what are your thoughts on these?
Alternatives in the same category would be welcome, thanks

Both brands are good, not had experiecne with either of those models but have had rigs by both brands. Both should fit the bill nicely, though both are quite bulky, maybe worth looking at a used Markbass Little Mark 3, just as powerful, great sound but a lot smaller to cart around.

I've got both amps & I love them both!

If you can afford both, get them both, as they are equally loud but have differing features. The LH500 has a simpler EQ, a good Valve Pre Amp & an effects loop. The BH500 has a tuner & mute facility, a great compressor and a more expansive EQ.

I think your decision should be based on what cabs you plan to use with your prospective amp.
The LH500 puts out 350 watts @ 8 ohms, whilst the BH500 puts out 225 watts @ 8 ohms.

Also, the LH500 needs a 1/4" jack cable connection & you will also need to buy a separate rack case. Conversely, the BH500 only takes a Speakon cable but is already cased(You may need a head cover in the future though.). I'd also try them both if you can.

If you keep these considerations in mind then you should be happy with either amp.

[quote name='indiegrungesound' timestamp='1416758267' post='2613218']
I've got both amps & I love them both!

If you can afford both, get them both, as they are equally loud but have differing features. The LH500 has a simpler EQ, a good Valve Pre Amp & an effects loop. The BH500 has a tuner & mute facility, a great compressor and a more expansive EQ.
[/quote]

Thank you for answering. At the moment I have a 400 watt 4x10" Warwick cab (4 ohm).
How about the tone from the two amps, do they sound the same, or is one "warmer/fuller" sounding than the other?

[quote name='isteen' timestamp='1416852864' post='2614319']

Thank you for answering. At the moment I have a 400 watt 4x10" Warwick cab (4 ohm).
How about the tone from the two amps, do they sound the same, or is one "warmer/fuller" sounding than the other?
[/quote]

Based on how the EQ is set on each amp, The LH500 is marginally louder, but the BH500 is marginally smoother. So I'd still suggest you try each one if/where possible.

However, in light of your comments about your cabinet, I'd suggest going for the BH500. From information that's been brought up on this site, backed up by TC Electronic's own website, that the 500 watts @ 4 ohms output rating is only a quasi/equivalent figure, so you might be able to risk running it through your cab without it blowing.

Alternatively, look for a Hartke HA3500 to go with your cab OR get a cab/cabs that can handle a total of 600 watts @ 4 ohms.

Thanks, I'll go with "smoother" rather than "louder".
I had a Behringer BVT 5500 a very short while. It was loud, but smoothit was NOT.
That one had to go, so at the moment I use a Gallien Krueger MB200.
Great little thing, but I was hoping than getting 500 watt would give me more power, that the 200 I have now.