Why become a member? ×

Sublime solo from the late, great Charlie Haden

Clarky

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&t=4m30s&v=3sxh-FXhFBU

Solo starts at 4.30 but the whole piece is rather lovely. Spotted this on Geoffbassist's facebook page, thanks Geoff!

Also interesting to me to see how far away from the end of the board he plays with his right hand (which in part explains his beautiful soft, non aggressive tone). Completely different from say Ray Brown who played right near the end of the board and was a lot more propulsive in his playing.

Edited by Clarky

As well as the wonderful 'Beyond the Missouri Sky' album with Pat Metheny (one of my desert island discs) I can wholeheartedly recommend the album "Nocturne", a Latin-influenced late night jazz album. Wonderfully melodic and with (as ever) the most tasteful and generally to the point/non-meandering solos from Charlie Haden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTeVod4eH5k

Can we talk about Haden's more aggressive side please?

As much as I like him in languid, dinner party friendly fayre, he kicks some serious behind as well, on many classic records.

I'd like to highlight his sterling work with Ornette Coleman (Change of the Century is a favourite of mine, plus Song X) which is pretty well known, but also his slightly lesser known work with Keith Jarrett, which represents a fascinating body of work which has been quietly influential on subsequent developments in jazz - Fort Yawuh is the obvious starting point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbh_iVBh4jg

Also Charlie did some great stuff with Old and New Dreams.

I also recently had John Scofield's Time On My Hands in pretty heavy rotation round my house, a great record with some superb playing by Charlie.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1416846615' post='2614214']
Think I am going to have to stick with that,sorry. Fraid that Keith Jarrett piece left me cold. Different strokes and all that!
[/quote]
I was fortunate to see Charlie Haden many times in the 80s/90s but i always preferred his playing with Ornette on those classic Atlantic LPs.

I'm not a fan of much of Keith Jarrett's music after the late 70s. I loved this when it was released in the mid 70s. Obviously (note title!) an Ornette influence tribute it has Charlie on good form and some really nice Soprano Saxophone playing from Jarrett.

http://youtu.be/MVfxSilpj_o

I particularly like some of Haden's work alongside Carla Bley in the 70s, like the Liberation Music Orchestra album or some of the material on Escalator Over the Hill. The lyrical solos are still there but the material has a real sense of adventure to it, plus I'm a big fan of Bley's arrangement style.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1416919868' post='2614982']
I particularly like some of Haden's work alongside Carla Bley in the 70s, like the Liberation Music Orchestra album or some of the material on Escalator Over the Hill. The lyrical solos are still there but the material has a real sense of adventure to it, plus I'm a big fan of Bley's arrangement style.
[/quote]
I saw the Carla Bley Big Band that included Lew Solof, Andy Sheppard, Bob Stewart, Steve Swallow, Don Alias etc a few times in the 80s & 90s and also a saw great gig by her at the Bracknell Jazz Festival in 1984. Always interesting and wonderful arrangements.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1416994269' post='2615764']
I saw the Carla Bley Big Band that included Lew Solof, Andy Sheppard, Bob Stewart, Steve Swallow, Don Alias etc a few times in the 80s & 90s and also a saw great gig by her at the Bracknell Jazz Festival in 1984. Always interesting and wonderful arrangements.
[/quote]

Jealous.

Carla Bley played in London last week as part of the Jazz Festival, with the Steve Swallow quintet. I really wanted to go but I'm not allowed to spend any money at the moment!