Why become a member? ×

Ashdown CTM bass amps, questions

thebassman

Hi

ok, so this may have already been covered.

So the CTM 15, 100 and 300 all have gain and master volume control. Not on the 30.
The CTM 30, 100 and 300 all have a balanced DI out for recording. Not on the 15.

Is there a reason for this i'm missing.

I have the CTM 15 and love the valve overdrive you get from cranking the gain, you can keep the output quiet by keeping the master volume low. i guess you would have to mic the cab in the studio.

Can you get the same valve overdrive from the 30, without having a gain control. I am guessing the output volume would be really loud.

Anyone have any ideas?

cheers

thebassman

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1416757307' post='2613209']
The 30 is essentially the old LB30 in a new housing. It breaks up easily, depending on the valve type and volume you are using.
[/quote]

Is it controllable enough to get break up at home rehearsing volumes? I know that's subjective, depending on how deaf your neighbours are.
with the 15, you can get a really dirty tone and still keep the overall volume really low.
I've never tried a valve amp with only a master volume, so just curious.
Cheers
thebassman

[quote name='thebassman' timestamp='1416758892' post='2613232']
with the 15, you can get a really dirty tone and still keep the overall volume really low.
I've never tried a valve amp with only a master volume, so just curious.
Cheers
thebassman
[/quote]

FWIW Most valve amps in the 6 string world - where these are still prob the most common amps - also tend to have a single volume control rather than separate gain/master vols.
Most of the distortion from amps like these - & indeed the LB30 - comes from the power section being pushed, rather than the front end. When you run your CTM15 at low volumes, you're only hearing the pre amp tubes distort. This can sound ok, but is often a bit thin & fizzy sounding. Most tube amp lovers will tell you that it sounds nowt like the distortion you get from pushing the power section...

It's for this reason that its important to get a tube amp that's the right power for your needs - so that your gigging volume coincides with the power tubes starting to get hairy (assuming that's what yr after). Its also why lots of valve amp people tend to collect a number of different power valve amps to suit different volume situations. At least, that's my excuse haha!

Edited by mickster

[quote name='mickster' timestamp='1416761125' post='2613273']

Its also why lots of valve amp people tend to collect a number of different power valve amps to suit different volume situations. At least, that's my excuse haha!
[/quote]

Haha, that's always my excuse too.
Thanks, that's a good explanation of how the valves work.
cheers
thebassman

[quote name='thebassman' timestamp='1416755879' post='2613192']
Hi

ok, so this may have already been covered.

So the CTM 15, 100 and 300 all have gain and master volume control. Not on the 30.
The CTM 30, 100 and 300 all have a balanced DI out for recording. Not on the 15.

Is there a reason for this i'm missing.

I have the CTM 15 and love the valve overdrive you get from cranking the gain, you can keep the output quiet by keeping the master volume low. i guess you would have to mic the cab in the studio.

Can you get the same valve overdrive from the 30, without having a gain control. I am guessing the output volume would be really loud.

Anyone have any ideas?

cheers

thebassman
[/quote]

love my ctm 15 and am gonna be getting a 100 soon, as has been said above the 30 is basically a rebrand of the little bastard, as i think they have had a few problems with the name.

as i see it the 30 has the di because the 30 did, the 15 is meant to be small gig/ studio amp so you can use mics so dnt really think they saw the need for a di.

andy

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='monsterthompson' timestamp='1417821751' post='2624431']
the goal is power amp overdrive on the 15, not pre. they sound very different.
[/quote]

theres a big difference in low end response to my ears, not that the 15 doesnt have bass, but due to its size the 100 just has alot more! i forgot to take my 15 into the practice space so only have a recording of the 100, i dnt mess about with the eq but it breaks up awesomely when you push it! the 300 will have alot more clean headroom for sure but i really didnt need that much power.

please ignore the bearded idiot at beginning and end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUMx-foXvLI&list=UU2nph-mPlvZFfBPyj1ADc3Q

Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1417822421' post='2624438']
theres a big difference in low end response to my ears, not that the 15 doesnt have bass, but due to its size the 100 just has alot more! i forgot to take my 15 into the practice space so only have a recording of the 100, i dnt mess about with the eq but it breaks up awesomely when you push it! the 300 will have alot more clean headroom for sure but i really didnt need that much power.

please ignore the bearded idiot at beginning and end

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUMx-foXvLI&list=UU2nph-mPlvZFfBPyj1ADc3Q"]https://www.youtube....lvZFfBPyj1ADc3Q[/url]
[/quote]
Yeah, overdrive will yield compression and can cost you low end. The extra wattage gets you clean headroom and lows.