Why become a member? ×

MB fusion 500 noisy fan!

lloyd

Just picked up a brand new Gallien Krueger MB fusion 500 amp, it sounds absolutely amazing with my barefaced super twin.
Then, the fan kicked in....'kin hell, air raid siren!!
Is it me, or is that normal for these little amps ? If that's normal, I guess I'll put up with it because it sounds so good, if not, maybe I'll return it.
Any of you guys had a similar amp, noise?

Cheers

Lloyd.

I've heard the fan on mine, but I wouldn't describe it as intrusive, and certainly not 'air-raid siren'. Sounds like there might be an issue with the amp?

What were the circumstances of the fan kicking in? Rehearsal, hot room, driving it hard? Could you hear it over the band?

Edited by Muzz

Thanks guys,
It's a brilliant little amp, I'm just doing some practise in the conservatory on my own, so it does sound noisier I guess.
Just never heard one as noisy, you couldn't hear the one on my old svt3 pro.
It won't be an issue in a live situation, just deciding whether to take it back or not.....I wouldn't want to swap it for anything else.......bloody hell, decisions...jeez.

Lloyd

[quote name='lloyd' timestamp='1416784253' post='2613628']
I'm just doing some practise in the conservatory on my own, so it does sound noisier I guess.
[/quote]

Mine only ever drew attention to itself when I was alone in the room with it. No issues when playing or rehearsing. Recorded it using DI and the fan noise never spilled to any mic. Plenty of other racket going on anyway. I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Edited by discreet

I had the same issue with the Aguilar Tonehammer. Fan was off for 15 minutes then all of a sudden sounds like a vacuum cleaner when the amp wasn't even warm.

It is possible to design a cooling system that uses quieter fans and comes on gradually, only speeding up when really needed. But it seems many amp manufacturers don't prioritise this and use cheap noisy fans with very basic control systems.

Lots of people use the same micro amp for home practice and recording that they do for gigging, so hopefully future amps will pay more attention to fan noise in future!

Edited by dannybuoy

Deepends how audible is audible ...
My SWR gets so hot but uses heat sinks whereas
my two Aguilars have audible fans..altho one
has a on/off switch and the TH500 doesn't.

I'd take a TH pedal into the studio but I don't think the
TH500 or its ilk are studio amps, tbh. They are built to
a pricepoint and the studio is not its remit, IMO.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1417219270' post='2618431']

It is possible to design a cooling system that uses quieter fans and comes on gradually, only speeding up when really needed. But it seems many amp manufacturers don't prioritise this and use cheap noisy fans with very basic control
[/quote]

Yeah, my Crown power amp has a variable speed fan linked to the temperature of the amp. I've never noticed any noise from it.

• 5 years later...

Hi,

just wanted to leave a message that Gallien modified the fan control unit for the MB Fusion in 2015 to get rid of that problem. It is easily possible to retrofit this. Just contact them and they will send you the information which component needs to be replaced.

Best regards
Kalle

• Like 1