Why become a member? ×

Downsizing

bassintheface

Hi guys,

I'm hoping for a bit of advice here -

I currently 'run' an Aguilar TH500 and 2x DB112 cabs.
It's a set up a love, sound amazing all of the time, blah blah blah.

Anyways, we (as band) have recently gone down the IEM route (ACS Custom T2's) as we have an X32.

I've started to realise that I can quite comfortably gig without the Aguilar rig as what I'm hearing is me through the IEMs, and not the amp and cabs.
The other guys also have me in their ears, along with everything else as we fully mic the kit, guitar cabs etc
I'm DI'd so am in the PA (JBL PRX active system of 2 x 615's and 2 x 618 XLF's), so there's more than enough bass in the room!!
We take an engineer with us so no worries there.

I'm just thinking whether I should seriously consider getting rid of the Aguilar rig and buying a small quality combo (mesa walkabout 12 etc) to use as back up and for smaller gigs.

I could quite happily take my bass, leads and sans amp and be fine.

Less stuff to hump around, less stuff to load in and out of the venue and less to store.

Thoughts / considerations from a practical perspective are welcome!

Edited by bassintheface

You could sell the rig, but then you have the downsize in the TH500 and 1 DB112 option
so you don't need to do anything, as far as I can see.
What could be a smaller combo than a TH500 and single DB112 cab..?? plus it has the
sound you want..??
I'd value that rig around £1100 SH..?? so maybe you could get some money back with a combo...?
Depends how sure you are on the longevity of the band..??

This is true and I thought about just taking one cab to gigs, but then thought I'd have a spare cab doing nothing, so thought I might be better off selling the Aggy rig as a whole and getting a small combo, but then like you say, I like the sound!!

Think I might just stick for now and keep a spare cab!

thanks

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1416829364' post='2613912']
You could sell the rig, but then you have the downsize in the TH500 and 1 DB112 option
so you don't need to do anything, as far as I can see.
[/quote]

+1

If you want to downsize why go out a buy a combo when you can down size to 1 cab without spending any money.

A Mesa combo would be the same size and weight and IMO wouldn't sound as good.