Why become a member? ×

Ampeg PF-500 just exploded! Who to contact?

Walker

10 minutes ago...

I was practising at bedroom level, I lost signal, it started buzzing and then went 'bang' filling the room with burnt popcorn smelling smoke!

It's 13 months old, but just checked on the Ampeg site and it's covered by a 2 year warranty. Phew.

Does anyone know who to contact in the UK with warranty claims?

Thanks,

Chris

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1416873562' post='2614689']
There was a nasty period of PF500's going bang. Seems to have been cured now.

2 years warranty through the retailer (technically 6 but tough to claim after 2).

The retailer may well go to Polar but it's their responsibility in the first instance.
[/quote]

Yes, technically it can be up to 6 years for a warranty. My brother found this out when his hard drive failed on his 4 year old laptop and was repaired by the manufacturer, for free under this.

Those horrible nasty people at the EU again giving consumers rights :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1416873562' post='2614689']
There was a nasty period of PF500's going bang. Seems to have been cured now.

[/quote]

Is that the general feeling that they problem has been cured..???
It would be good if true.. as I rather like that little amp.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1416919839' post='2614981']
.. as I rather like that little amp.
[/quote]

I absolutely love it, 13 months with zero problems, so I'm happy to give them another chance. It's so perfect for 80% of the gigs we play,

GAK are going to take it back, no questions asked. Looks like I'm going to have to bodge something together with my VT Bass DI and an old power amp for my gig next week!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1416919839' post='2614981']

Is that the general feeling that they problem has been cured..???
It would be good if true.. as I rather like that little amp.
[/quote]

I was told 'officially' that returns were much lower now but I'll do some more detailed checking.

They were truly awful at one stage. I know someone who had three of them fail in a week!

Some major Ampeg dealers refused to even stock them for a while because they simply couldn't trust them :(

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1416921997' post='2615021'] I was told 'officially' that returns were much lower now [/quote]

Doesn't really say much. They could have had a 60% failure rate and now it's only 40%...

I had 2 die. Wouldn't trust them again.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1416937408' post='2615271']
Doesn't really say much. They could have had a 60% failure rate and now it's only 40%...

I had 2 die. Wouldn't trust them again.
[/quote]

My understanding is that they don't blow up any more. I can't say precisely when this was fixed but it does seem to be Ok now. Certainly any new models should be good.

We're not an Ampeg dealer so this is not from direct first hand experience however we do deal with the distributor and they are the last people to want to promote a product that keeps coming back for repair and we've always found them to be very open and honest when there are issues with anything :)

[quote name='DrBike' timestamp='1416937435' post='2615273']
Just out of interest, what cab were you using with it?
[/quote]

Im using the matching 115. Pretty impressed with it too. I had an Ampeg combo a year or two ago and had to reglue the cab joints to stop it rattling, but this is solid.

There's one at my local venue. It's going through an Ampeg SVT classic 410HE. I play through it 4 or 5 times a month and it sounds fantastic. Considering it gets played continuously for about 6 hrs a night it seems pretty reliable. But, although I'd love to buy one, all the scare stories on bass forums have put me off.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1416947618' post='2615442'] There's one at my local venue. It's going through an Ampeg SVT classic 410HE. I play through it 4 or 5 times a month and it sounds fantastic. Considering it gets played continuously for about 6 hrs a night it seems pretty reliable. But, although I'd love to buy one, all the scare stories on bass forums have put me off. [/quote]

I play in the same venue... I bring my own. Ok, to be honest, I started bringing my own when they went through a phase that the Ashdown MAG head they had was malfunctioning frequently. I used the Ampeg a few times and I just did not warm up to it. I bring my own head, and usually a small cab too (or combo) . Even if I liked the Ampeg, putting my small combo over the 410 cab allows me to "claim" the space and I no longer have to clear it. Why is it that when somebody has something in their hand that don't know what to do with, a cable, a jumper, a bag... it ends up over the bass amp? :lol:

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1417121867' post='2617334'] Made in China by people with a gun in their back. Would you worry about how long it will last or just getting the lid on and getting your quota done for the day... [/quote]

that's not dramatic enough, can you please try again?