Why become a member? ×

A little practice combo?

Pinball

Hi, I'm off to visit relatives and am looking for a cheap small practice combo to take with me. In the past I had an Orange 35B, which was great but was a little bulkier than I would like and I don't remember it having a headphone socket.

I notice Ashdown do them, any feedback on the "After 8" or Tourbus? Are they worth getting or is something like the an Amplug going to be just as good?

Amplugs are good, and as a guy who regularly travels and practices in hotel rooms I wouldn't be without mine, but the sound quality is never as good as a small combo would be.

The choice is really down to how often you're likely to use it and if you can spare the bulk when travelling.

Today I'm driving to the wilds of Bristol and will be packing my Tascam GB10 - another headset unit, but that allows me to record myself over backing tracks and slow tracks down and change pitch on play-backs so I can transcribe.. all horses for courses.

Edited by Grangur

I recently bought a Fender Rumble 15 (the older series) and it`s great for portability, plus the sound is very good for such a small amp. I`ve also got an Ampeg BA108 but compared to the Fender it is much heavier, yet not that much bigger, plus - and I hate to say it as an avid Ampeg fan - I prefer the sound of the Fender as well.

Same as Lozz, I have an older style Rumble 15. It has been used pretty much daily since I got it in 2008. So I consider that a reliable piece of kit :)

I've used a lot of different instruments including actives and five stringers, it's handled them all very well.

The Tascam that Grangur uses is an impressive bit of kit.

Thanks a whole bunch of good options. All would do the job because:

1. It would just be in this country and on trips so a small combo would be no problem
2. The more compact amp and trainer units with head phones would be fine. I already have a small zoom recorder to recording is not a problem.

Thanks for all the advice.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1417008090' post='2615977']
I'm now moving away from a combo and thinking that one of these and my headphones will do the job. They seem a cheap and practical solution.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/b1on
[/quote]

Yes, that works too. Do let us know what you recon to it.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1417106022' post='2617148']
At a recent Bassbash, one of the attendees had this: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_thr10.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...amaha_thr10.htm[/url] Surpisingly good sound and a lot smaller than any combo
[/quote]
Looks cool too!

Guest BeardyBob

Now then!

I've just got myself a Vox Pathfinder Bass 10 for around £65.

She's a 10W little combo with pair of 5" speakers.

Love it, can finally home diddle again. Can be pushed well beyond 'annoying housemates' loud while clean & some fun to be had with the drive.

Definitely going to chuck her in the car for radio/acoustic type shows.

I love her, recommend a try.

P.S. the handle is a tw*t. F*cking vox!

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1417043691' post='2616645']
Yes, that works too. Do let us know what you recon to it.
[/quote]

Here you go, B1on post here: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/250575-zoom-b1on-multi-effects-user-experience/

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1416904249' post='2614778']
I recently bought a Fender Rumble 15 (the older series) and it`s great for portability, plus the sound is very good for such a small amp. I`ve also got an Ampeg BA108 but compared to the Fender it is much heavier, yet not that much bigger, plus - and I hate to say it as an avid Ampeg fan - I prefer the sound of the Fender as well.
[/quote]

I had a couple of BA110's go faulty on me so I bought the same Rumble 15 and it was a cracking upgrade. I've since upgraded again to the current series Rumble 40 which has an even more versatile EQ, and a built in distortion which is fun to play about with. OH and it looks AWESOME.