Why become a member? ×

Decisions Decisions...

CamdenRob

hmmm it's time to choose the top wood.

I wanted to go for something different and dark for my incoming MK3 sixer, so Paul has ordered in two tops specially, a ziricote and a macassar.

I'm erring towards the macassar but it's a tough choice.

Ziricote :

Macassar :

Edited by CamdenRob

I'd go for Ziricote if it was for me; it's a bit more subtle & the lighter stripe in the middle will probably look really good. But that's just because I'm quite conservative with how my bass looks - if you want to stand out, the Macassar will certainly do that.

I almost wish he hadn't given me the choice... :blink:

I agree with the above really, the Ziricote is a more traditional looking choice but I really like that piece of Macassar and think it would stand out as unique.

These are for the front and back facings over the usual Wal mahogany core which forms a kind of border when looking at the instrument face on.

They will also be used for the matching headstock.

Edited by CamdenRob

Both really nice, if mine I'd probably go with Macassar just to be a bit different. I don't recall seeing another Wal with that kind of stripe grained wood before. ( and if you don't like it when its finished, you can always pass it on to me ) :lol:

hmmm well...

I do appreciate the input chaps :) although they are very different I like them both.

[size=4]My only issue with the Ziricote is that that nice[/size][size=4] light patch down the [/size]center[size=4] will be broken up by a bridge, a pair of enormous pickups and the truss rod cavity at the base of the neck. Looking at my current MK3 there would be about three inches of that [/size]center[size=4] strip visible along the entire length of the body and i'm worried it might look a bit angular broken up like that...[/size]

[size=4]​I also [/size]realize[size=4] that this is the very [/size]definition[size=4] of a first world problem and I should just let Paul get on with what he thinks will look best![/size]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Macassar! Looks absolutely stunning.[/color][/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]The [/color][/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ziricote has a hint of 'coffee table' about it [i](I'm probably committing heresy by saying that).[/i][/font][/color]

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1416947323' post='2615436']
hmmm well...

[size=4]My only issue with the Ziricote is that that nice[/size][size=4] light patch down the [/size]center[size=4] will be broken up by a bridge, a pair of enormous pickups and the truss rod cavity at the base of the neck. Looking at my current MK3 there would be about three inches of that [/size]center[size=4] strip visible along the entire length of the body and i'm worried it might look a bit angular broken up like that...[/size]
[/quote]

I had an ACG with similar patterning, Cocobolo top and the join in the centre has a much lighter stripe. Lovely but kind of got lost when the hardware was installed.