Why become a member? ×

Analog Alien Bass Station

sk8

Okay. I've had limited time with it, some through phones and a small amount of time with it 'live' but hit in my full band context. It's nicely packaged in an Analog Alien Coolbag and comes with a one spot as the powersupply. Nice touch although being in the UK I've had to get a converter as its a U.S. one. It's a compact pedal, maybe the width of two boss pedals. It has to me what I want as a minimum, comp, amp/OD and fuzz. The limiter/comp appears to function well and isn't overbearing on sound and it would be nice to have an led like I had on my maxon CP9pro+ to indicate when compression was happening. The amp generator appears nice with a good range of tones from clean to OD with everything and grit in between. The EQ is subtle but effective enough. The fuzz is a very different beast for me. I like Big Muff type fuzzes. I just ditched a Wren & Cuff box of war in favour of a tall font russian and the gamma isn't any of these! Maxed out it screams a bit like a muff and turned down its dirty and nasty. Combined with the amp generator it sounds sweeter again. I think I need more time to get to know it. One touch I liked was that each LED colour corresponds with the knob colours of each function.

Live I've used it in church but only used the comp and amp. I plug into a keyboard amp so used the amp generator to set my tone and the comp to, well compress :D I found that if I turned the fuzz right down I could use it as a mute which was useful.
Overall I'm pleased with it. It's quirky but I like it. Not cheap but a cool box of tricks.

[quote name='Byo' timestamp='1417702188' post='2623201']
Always wanted to try one of these.
I saw a demo on YouTube and it seemed like a very interactive pedal as all the sections affect the others.
[/quote]

Yeah me too which was why I had to get one!

[quote name='Byo' timestamp='1418348891' post='2629508']
Hi SK8,

Have you managed to play around with the ABS a bit more? What are you thoughts?

Cheers!
[/quote]

I have but not live. Had a lot more time with it through headphones and my enabler.

The limiter comp pleads to work well and doesn't kill dynamics. The only negative is as there is no indication (LED/s) you don't know when it kicks in so you are setting it up blind so to say. The input sensitivity seems key in getting the signal level right to allow the comp to work properly.

The amp generator is very good. Tons on low end available and the EQ is simple but effective. It dies a good job of emulating a tube amp and the breakup up is very natural. I copped a lot of tones including trebly OD, fat OD, grindy and hairy! I wouldn't say that with the gain turned right down it was über sparkly clean but then it is modelled after a B15 and other tube amp. I'd be happy to use it as my amp sound or as my OD sound.

Now, finally we come to the Gamma Fuzz. This is a very interesting beast which I initially disliked BUT now I get it. I like muff fuzzes and having just ditched a Wren & Cuff Box of War for a Tall Font Russian this trend continues for me. The gamma is not a muff fuzz but what it is is a great synthy one IMO. The in knob is very interactive and simple, maxed its a wall of fuzz sound and with the amp generator kicked in can get muffy. As the knob gets turned down it's gets deeper and darker, less distinct but not in a bad way. On low settings I think I could use it as a dirty boost.

In summary I'm pleased with my purchase. I have a Cali76TX as my top end comp but it's huge and the ABS contains what I think is a minimum for me to make noise. I never play without out a comp and I get that and an OD (this is how I would use amp generator probably) and a fuzz so I can grab it and take my sounds with me. It's not cheap but it is cool and useable. Mates with my JDI I'd wager this would be ago is studio tool too.

• 2 months later...

Okay so I've had more time with this. Although I do have it up for sale It's really growing on me. Goint to use it at practice next weekend. I wans't overly keen on the Fuzz, as its more synthy than Muffy (which Is what I normally default to) BUT in a mix, palying along to songs its sounds sooo much better than it did solo'd; remoinds me of my old oxide. The Amp generator is great but I'm using it more for OD and maxed the OD has a fuzz like quality to it as its modelled on tube amps (alledgedly). All in all this is definitely growing on me and is currenlty on my pedalboard. I'm looking forward to running it through my Orange rig at volume.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 5 months later...