Why become a member? ×

New Amp or new Bass

Twincam

My amp is kaput however i can get lone of another one for as long as i like. But i really want a new bass a Hofner in the cavern spec. There's nothing wrong with the p bass im using currently but you know what its like.
I plan on ordering today

What should i do?.

On another note im thinking about ordering from dv247.com ive never ordered from there before are they a good company to deal with?.

You won't thank me but I'm another one to vote for the new amp - and new amps/combos can still be exciting to buy! In my case it was a really good investment because I realised that the old rig I'd been playing through hadn't been letting me hear my basses properly... I went from an old heavy solid state (Class A?) head with a sealed 2x12" cab to a new Class D combo using a 2x10" and tweeter configuration - the difference was like night and day!

Yeah one thing to mention the amp i would be loaning is technically mine. Its my old amp that i sort of give to a friend when he was playing bass, which he doesn't anymore. But i like to keep it there for when i go round.

Anyhow i was sensible and taken the advice and bought an amp. Found a slightly older model for half the price of the new model at a crack converters. It better be ok. Anyhow saved a few bob.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1417088549' post='2616918']
Found a slightly older model for half the price of the new model at a crack converters. It better be ok. Anyhow saved a few bob.
[/quote]

It's probably worth using some of the bob you've saved to get it serviced. Glad you made the right call :)

Ok, let's bring this to the party - around a million years ago I lent my (then) stepdaughter and her bloke (who I disliked intensely), the deposit on a new house ('cos they were skint') - two days later my (now) Ex-wife tells me that the cuddlesome twosome had paid the deposit for their new house (with my money) and were booking a holiday in Jamaica.........Buy the bloody amp.
Edit - I note that you made (in my eyes) the right call - well done.
:)
New Edit - v v v Just don't get me started, I don't care to add up exactly how much that marriage really cost, but it was enough to put me off matrimony for life..............
:huh:

Edited by taunton-hobbit

Damn that's bad news :( when you said your old amp was 'kaput' I'd assumed that was for definite rather than you were hearing odd noises when playing your P bass. Rather than rush out again and buy another bass can you tell us what you're hearing because there's really not that much can go wrong with a pickup and a couple of pots. Also, have you checked the guitar cable for damage?

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1417265852' post='2618690']
Damn that's bad news :( when you said your old amp was 'kaput' I'd assumed that was for definite rather than you were hearing odd noises when playing your P bass. Rather than rush out again and buy another bass can you tell us what you're hearing because there's really not that much can go wrong with a pickup and a couple of pots. Also, have you checked the guitar cable for damage?
[/quote]

Im getting a fizzing type noise that comes on with the bloom of the note. I tried another cable zero difference. The same bass seemed fine last weekend when ran through another amp although i didn't fully test it, as we had to keep the noise down also there was a guitar playing. So i assumed the amp was on its way out and since the amp in question is a 1987 carlsbro cobra combo i was all too happy to replace it with anything, not that it was a bad amp before just such a dull tone.

Could it be room acoustics?. Or maybe the fender medium gauge flatwounds i have noticed they really shake the bass and there is a odd overtone there unamped. Maybe that tone is coming through the amp?.

I don't have anything to record the sound on. The new amp isn't amplifying the noise nearly as much but definitely still there.