Why become a member? ×

Starting out with the bow

sarah thomas

I'm merrily ploughing through Grade I pieces and it's great. But I have a problem with dynamics. Is it simply a matter of pressing down harder on the bow? It's so hard to get a clear, unmuffled sound. Is it just a matter of practice, rather like learning clutch control in a car? I've got page 1 of Tarlton's Sevcik to help practice but I'm worried that I'm missing something. Any pointers from you classicists out there?

Hi Sarah, there are a few things to consider when bowing. First off, you shouldn't really be 'pressing down' - you'll give yourself hand ache! Instead use your arm weight - then adjust the pressure to get louder or quieter. But, you'll also need to watch where you put the bow - if it starts to creep to close to the fingerboard the sound will get quieter ... move it lower/away from the fingerboard & it'll get louder (though not too close to the bridge either). Finally, you will need to consider bow speed - faster strokes with more arm weight = louder; slower strokes with less arm weight = quieter. I hope that makes sense - it's really hard to explain without demonstrating!

+1 to what MandShef said.

I would also add that it's important to keep relaxed. My teacher's noticed that when I'm tense my bow position moves closer to the fingerboard so I have to consciously relax my shoulders. Makes bowing easier too! I try and bow about an inch or so below the fingerboard and have raised the bass so that the bow natural touches the strings there.

Also the A string is bowed slightly faster than the E, the D string a bit faster than the A etc. Exactly how fast depends on bass, bow, strings and what sounds good to you. (That's before you get into fitting your bowing into the piece you're playing!)

Bowing is one part of DB playing where having a few lessons can really help. It's certainly one of (many) technical aspects that I constantly work on. :)

Bowing takes a long time to master. You'll need a mirror in front of you every time your practice. The tip needs to be slightly high most of the time but just a very slight angle.

As as been said you need to be very relaxed. Make sure to get clean starts to all your bows and practice long slow bows that have a very linear dynamic. Then begin forte and get piano towards the tip and then begin forte at the tip and end piano at the frog. Piano at the frog, forte in the middle and piano again by the tip and the opposite again. Also another good exercise is start right at the fingerboard and as you draw the bow slide it right down to the bridge keeping the same sound and then go back up to the fingerboard.
Slow clean bows are the key to a really good sound.

Also get a few lessons. Its very difficult to correct yourself when your beginning.

EDIT: also try starting notes just with your wrist and then stop.

Also if these are pieces your working on to play with a pianist you'll need to think about projection, playing a bit closer to the bridge and maybe a little more arm weight.

Edited by fatgoogle

Thank you all very much for the tips. I have a great teacher who I'm seeing more often now to help with the bowing. I'll try those exercises - relaxation does seem to be key. There's one piece I know by heart which I enjoy playing and my whole body feels different to when I'm really trying.It seems like learning to drive - there are so many things to think about all at the same time. Fatgoogle, I don't know what you mean by 'starting notes just with your wrist'. Do you mean as opposed to using your arm?

Many thanks again.

If you keep your arm still and just move your wrist, as you would beginning any bow stroke, you should be able to start a note. Also another great little tip for getting used to bowing is do the above but use your arm weight so the bow grips but doesn't let go. It shows just how little applied weight you need.