Why become a member? ×

Routers

Thunderbird

[size=4]Hi All I am thinking of modding a couple of basses and I want to cut out new pickup routes so I know I will need jigs and forstner drill bits but I am just wondering if some one could advise me on the best type of router and bits to buy for the job? I am new to routing out for pickups so will practice plenty before hand [/size]

Can I suggest not using the very cheapest generic brand routers for this purpose? I had one and it worked, but the plunge mechanism, depth stop and guides weren't made to very close tolerances and everything had a little play in it. It'd be fine for general joinery, but less than ideal for the clean, accurate routs needed for luthiery.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

The same with router bits - cheap ones go blunt and tear up the wood. These are the only two router bits I've used for guitars... and they're still going strong after 14 years:

[url="http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Routers_and_Bits/Bits/Ball_Bearing_Router_Bits_-_Set_of_2.html"]http://www.stewmac.c...-_Set_of_2.html[/url]

Edited by ColinB

As the post above says, Dewalt and Trend are generally the ones to go for. If you can get hold of a second hand Elu it'll last forever.
If you can, make sure it has slow start.

In terms of bits, my first choice is always Wealdon, but will get Trend if Wealdon don't have what I need in stock. Experience has taught me not to go for the sets of bits with lots of different types. Your money is better spend on one or two high quality bits that you know you will use.

Some years ago I wanted a 1/2" router for general woodwork. got a B&Q special, suspect it was a Trend re-badge. Was awful. It went back. Then got a Dewalt - excellent kit. However at 1/2" it is a bit heavy for pick routes (have done one under a pickguard), but the 1/4 one in post #6 looks good. Expensive but worth it, don't want to mess up a route!