Why become a member? ×

Dr J D53 Sparrow Bass, thoughts?

lefrash

Anyone got one of these? It seems to be an identical clone of a Sansamp BDDI. The reviews and videos online are horrific though.

Anyone got one or tried one? worth the £50 punt? I've only seen one person saying they're rubbish based on the switch breaking. This for me would be an always on effect and will be fixed to my board, so solidness is a less of an issue.

This would be Joyo pedal ? I have the "Dr J Shadow" Echo box and it does it's thing really well. Have a VT 21 but replaced it with the Joyo "British Sound" pedal. Better to try out first but to be quite honest with but these pedals are decent quality kit. Don't know how long they will last, but changing a switch or knob over the years won't break the bank

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested, I tried this for the first time tonight via my amp, and through a PA. First impressions are very good. Seems to be reasonably quiet. Not a massive variety in tones (which was to be suspected) but it seems to do that scooped, slightly dirty sound pretty well. Its actually a very small box too which is nice - only because I wont actually be stomping on it.... if I was then that might be a problem. £25 quid well spent I'd say!

My MS60b may be redundant now!

• 3 weeks later...

How are you getting on with this? Is the casing metal or plastic? I've been looking at a di pedal with overdrive and these look good at £50 and fantastic at 25! Coda still have them listed and I'll have some birthday money soon as well.

Matt

I quite like it. Its a very well spent £25. I dont know whether I'd spend £50+ on it though. I've never really properly cranked the gain on it, so cant comment too much on it as a 'rock' machine. I've got it set pretty low gain but seems to be doing that nicely. I will say though, that the tone does translate pretty well into 'any old amp'. I've used it through a number of amps, and I've got pretty much the exact tone from it.

One thing though is that the switch pedal is pretty rubbish. So if you're thinking kicking this on and off throughtout a set, then think again. It makes a massive clunk too which I've never experienced in any other pedal as bad as this.

The DI is perfectly good too. Not really had an issue in the two times I've used it.

Its a metal casing and pretty small too... I'l link to a pic so you can see it compared to other pedals.

At £25, its well worth a pop.... you're hardly gonna lose anything when you sell it on.