Why become a member? ×

Bass strings - thinking of changing brand - suggestions please...

Greg.Bassman

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1417446999' post='2620408']
Indeed. Much better that the DR Black Beauties I was using before at £34 a set.
If only they came in a sexy black option too.
[/quote]

I don't think D'Addario really buys into the gimmick of colour coating their strings. Closest you'll probably get is a set of black tape wounds.

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductFamily.Page?ActiveID=3768&familyid=20

I would recommend D'Addario Chrome Flatwounds. I play mainly fingerstyle but also slap and use a plectrum occasionally.

the thing is that they don't sound like traditional flats. I see them more as the sound of rounds that have had the zing removed and are more controllable under the fingers than rounds.

I've used DR high beams for a very long time and i love them, nice deep bottom and crystal highs but still sound fantastic for a long time after they are broken in.They feel smooth unlike rotund, I keep trying cheaper strings and always go back :)

Dunlop Super Bright stainless steel 40-100.

You mention that you want smoothness and the Dunlop strings have a higher wrap ratio than most other string brands, meaning the strings feel much smoother as your fingers glide over the wraps. It's like the difference between driving over speed bumps and driving over a cattle grid at speed. Light and day in the difference of feel to other brands of string.

Can't recommend them enough and they're pretty reasonable :-)

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Dunlop-Super-Bright-Stainless-Steel-Bass-Strings--4-String-Set_p_2160.html

Edited by skej21