Why become a member? ×

Bass strings - thinking of changing brand - suggestions please...

Greg.Bassman

Hey everybody, come to pick your brains one more time if I may...

I've been using Rotosound SM66 40-100 Swing Bass's for a couple of years now; I like the tone, however, they feel very coarse (even when broken in)- so I'm thinking of changing brands. Is there anything else out there that's alittle smoother under my fingers? (but with all the same tone obviously)

Preferably, I'd like to stick to the same criteria (stainless steels, 40.60.80.100). Hoped you could throw some suggestions my way, based on personal experiences. All feedback welcome, and greatly appreciated.

P.S- I don't mind spending the extra cash if it means genuine quality (smooth, tone, long lasting).

Much thanks,

Edited by Greg.Bassman

To the OP, do you want the same tone as the Rotos when they are brand new and still zingy, or as when they`ve got older? If the latter, may be worth trying some TI Flats - I`ve just made the same jump, used Roto Rounds for years, preferring them once they`ve been on for over 3 months, swapped to TIs and am very happy. Much easier under the fingers, and going by the reports will last years.

La Bella nickel rounds (called 'Slappers' apparently - I presume 'cos they're good for that style) have a lot of growl and are pretty zingy for nickels - I was gifted a set by a fellow BCer and love them (I got the SN45 set - 45, 65, 85, 105). They have a smooth feel (as do most nickels I believe) and could be just what you need.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1417385162' post='2619933']
D'Addario, but I don't think they do .040" to .100".

Failing that, Elixirs are a nice, smooth string.
[/quote]

EPS 190 is the D'Addario Pro Steel 40-100 gauge.

40-100 is now the standard gauge on a lot of new basses and its become out best selling gauge and now outselling 45-105 on 4 string sets.

I first started using them on a Fodera who've had 40-100 as standard for quite a while. Really seems to help with everyday 'playability' and I never feel that I'm losing any bottom end by using thinner gauges.

Should mean you can find this gauge in steel from pretty much any major string supplier :)

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1417166855' post='2617630']
Hey everybody, come to pick your brains one more time if I may...

I've been using Rotosound SM66 40-100 Swing Bass's for a couple of years now; I like the tone, however, they feel very coarse (even when broken in)- so I'm thinking of changing brands. Is there anything else out there that's alittle smoother under my fingers? (but with al the same toe obviously)

Preferably, I'd like to stick to the same criteria (stainless steels, 40.60.80.100). Hoped you could throw some suggestions my way, based on personal experiences. All feedback welcome, and greatly appreciated.

P.S- I don't mind spending the extra cash if it means genuine quality (smooth, tone, long lasting).

Much thanks,
[/quote]

D'Addario ProSteels are the way to go! They're a really nice string, both in tone and feel. Very well made with good QC. They were the brightest strings on the market until D'Addario bested themselves with FlexSteels, which again are steel, but more flexy, and brighter.

As Gary stated I have also just tried the Status half wounds they are very good quality and £20 cheaper than the Roto ground wounds which are really rough - I did used these for years and was happy but don't know what is going on at Rotosound at the moment I have had several issues, but would say try Status half wounds before going flats I have been there thomastik infeld great string but one dimension no way you are going to slap them. Elites Stainles are good, my other favourite now is GHS nickles. I have just bought some Carvin nickles from bassgear to try at £23 and will get some Status nickles to try after that. As i have recently found price is not a reliable indication of quality.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1417438984' post='2620297']
D'Addario Pro Steels. EPS something or other. Stay zingy for a fair time and still sound OK when you can't be arsed to change them.
[/quote]

They can last up to a year if they're looked after. As stated previously, they're a very well made, high-quality string. The set I have on my OLP Stingray has probably been on it for the best part of a year. They could probably do with being changed, but they haven't degraded physically, and they actually still sound quite good, so I have no real plans to change them just for the sake of putting a fresh set on.

[quote name='StringPing.com' timestamp='1417444784' post='2620373']
They can last up to a year if they're looked after. As stated previously, they're a very well made, high-quality string. The set I have on my OLP Stingray has probably been on it for the best part of a year. They could probably do with being changed, but they haven't degraded physically, and they actually still sound quite good, so I have no real plans to change them just for the sake of putting a fresh set on.
[/quote]

Indeed. Much better that the DR Black Beauties I was using before at £34 a set.
If only they came in a sexy black option too.