Why become a member? ×

BSX Allegro - can't EQ out the ultra high top end!

franzbassist

So, I love my Allegro, I really do, but I find that the ultra high top end is impossible to EQ out.

The bass is stock, with a piezo bridge and an active 3 band Bartolini system installed, but if I cut the treble on the bass it still doesn't get the really high stuff, which is too nasty and brittle to my ears. Cutting treble EQ on my amp also doesn't get rid either, so what gives? Is it the piezo, and I just have to live with it?

Any ideas, Team Basschat?

Cheers

Gareth

The Demeter is a naturally clean and bright amp, but it's just the really high frequencies on the BSX that are the problem (my electrics are fine).

If I cut the treble on the onboard EQ it loses body from the overall sound, rather than the sheen on top, which stays there and just makes finger noise over the strings sound scratchy.

Sounds like you need a low pass filter - you might be able to bleed off the exteme treble using passive components, shorting the high freqencies to ground in the same manner that the tone control works on a passive bass. The values of the components might need a little tweaking to get result you want, but maybe someone like KiOgon would be a good person to ask if this is a potentially viable solution - it would be fairly simple to implement such a device in a small component box to avoid the need for any surgery to your BSX, assuming of course that it didn't degrade the signal in an adverse fashion.

• 6 years later...

Hi @franzbassist

Apologies for resurrecting this thread - especially as the last post was Nov 2014 :o 

But I was just wondering whether you solved this issue? I'm interested, because I always liked the look of the BSX
Do you still have the bass? How are you finding it performs? 

Cheers now, Marc