Why become a member? ×

CTM-100! NAD

0175westwood29

just got this home!

will be heading to our practice space soon to have a bit of a play at volume!

cant wait only thing is i can see its 240 but has a eu plug with it, anyone see there being aa problem if i used the one from my ctm-15? ashdown on there site only sell one kettle lead but with different ends? so im thinking they are all the same?

andy

Edited by 0175westwood29

IEC mains leads are all the same (it's an international standard) and only the plug differs for the pattern used in various countries, so I'm assuming your's came from overseas. You'll be fine with the one from your CTM 15 but you might like to check the fuse rating first.

[quote name='thebassman' timestamp='1417344877' post='2619257']
Looks great, how does it sound?
How does it compare tone wise to your CTM15? Besides the volume of course :-)
Cheers
thebassman
[/quote]

its got alot more bottom end to it, but then i suppose it does have bigger transformers and much bigger tubes.

just uploading a little video i did yesterday.

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1417345905' post='2619275']

its got alot more bottom end to it, but then i suppose it does have bigger transformers and much bigger tubes.

just uploading a little video i did yesterday.

andy
[/quote]

Nice one Andy, I'll be looking out for it.
cheers
Thebassman

This might sound like a dumb question but do these amps make bottom. The reason I ask is that a few of the SS amps I've tried that are supposed to emulate a valve amp have been extremely nasal in the mids. For example the Markbass TTE or the Ashdown Spyder. I've no need for overdriven tone at all but "hench" does have quite an appeal.
Cheers.
B)

[quote name='kennyrodgers' timestamp='1417964492' post='2625489']
This might sound like a dumb question but do these amps make bottom. The reason I ask is that a few of the SS amps I've tried that are supposed to emulate a valve amp have been extremely nasal in the mids. For example the Markbass TTE or the Ashdown Spyder. I've no need for overdriven tone at all but "hench" does have quite an appeal.
Cheers.
B)
[/quote]

is has alot of bass in it, and if you want more in a live context you can push in the deep switch which doesnt show on a recording but if your infront of the amp it just hits you in the chest!

check out the videos above for some sound samples

andy

• 1 month later...

I've used mine for few gigs now - can't fault it really. I find I have to crank it a bit, because of two geetards and loud drummer - so at my normal playing level I'm on the cusp of the growly zone, which turns out just right. :) It gets a bit too overdriven if I push it harder (which isn't for me really), and I don't think there's much more on tap, but its plenty loud enough accepting a bit of (lovely) snarl. What surprised me was the feel of the air pushed from the speakers. Can't say I've noticed that before with my other amps. All good so far!

Edited by BluRay

I was very tempted to pick up Merton's CTM 100 when I saw it in the classifieds to get that power tube breakup which I can't get with my CTM 300 without all the windows in the house going the way of the dodo. The CTMs are great amps though. Completely agree that they seem to move a lot of air in a way which most amps just can't. I think that has something to do with putting out quite a lot of lows regardless of how the EQ is set. Such a musical sounding amp!

Yeah I think the 100 version is calibrated just right for (up to) medium sized gigs, cos you get the power section grunt without completely overdoing it. Mainly I picked the 100 cos I had valve amp GAS and needed it to be giggable and one I can carry without help - the 300 was too damn heavy - but in hindsight the 100 is probably more suitable for the venues I play anyway. It was more luck than judgment. I'd love to try a CTM 300 in a big venue tho!

Edited by BluRay

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='TheRockinRoadie' timestamp='1424370272' post='2695651']
How're you getting on with the CTM? I really love mine. Merton is a traitor and has bought a BTA 200 but I bet it's amazing ;)
[/quote]

Haha, I am ;)

The BTA is incredible though, a very close call between it and the CTM really, different preamp flavours obviously but they both kick ass. If I could have kept the CTM and BTA together I would have done :(