Why become a member? ×

NI Komplete

funkle

Hi all

Getting more into recording and producing/writing. How does everyone rate NI Komplete 10? (Not the super expensive 'Ultimate' version, and I probably won't be springing for the special controllers either, as I already have a MIDI keyboard).

Komplete 10 costs less than a bass and looks a tidy little package, rather than springing for individual packages of various sorts.

Grateful for your collective wisdom.

Pete

Funkle, although I haven't got any of the Komplete series 8/9/10 etc,
I do have some of the modules, plus Kontakt 5 obviously.
They are excellent, and do remember you also get 45 gigs of sounds with the Kontakt sampler.
These cover everything from Jazz through to Orchestral and everything in between, World Ethnic, Pop etc.

So with the library and all those extra modules and FX, It really is a good deal, outstanding in fact.
If you have the budget, I would recommend that you go for it.
You will not be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1418332765' post='2629349']
Bought it. Mind blowing. And we'll cheaper than a bass. Great value. This and Reaper are definitely floating my boat.
[/quote]

Great deal ain't it?
Shame it was just about the only thing NI didn't do 50% off on Black Friday.
Or did they?

Enjoy, it's a great deal and bundle regardless.

Ok, I'm digging this enough that I'm getting the Komplete Kontrol S61 (the keyboard which matches the software) for Xmas. Will return it if it turns out to be less useful than my M-Audio Oxygen, but the reviews are all glowing + say the integration with Komplete is amazing. They'd better be, the damn keyboard is £500 for a MIDI controller....

Ok, after using the Komplete Kontrol s61 controller, my first take is that the extra integration is not as useful as I thought.

Browsing through patches still needs you to look at the PC screen, so I may as well use a mouse as use the built in knob/buttons on the keyboard to browse patches. So no big workflow improvements to me there.

I may not be enough of a knob tweaker to get full benefit, but although the control knobs are extremely well integrated into the software and let you do a lot of deep tweaking of filter/resonance etc, and are reasonably well labelled, I just don't feel the need to get this deep into my NI instrument presets most of the time, and when I do, the mouse is good enough for this.

The transport controls work perfectly in Reaper. The forums have a post on how to set this up.

The lights are a cool addition to the keyboard and I do like seeing what notes are being played even after I have recorded the midi. I do like how the playable notes and switches are clearly mapped out by the colour of the lights for the various Komplete patches. There are some nice ways to limit yourself to certain scales, so no non-diatonic notes can be played. It's not a huge feature to me, but some will find it useful. This feature does not need the keyboard but can be found in the Komplete Kontrol software itself, which means you can download the software for free and use it with any controller.

The keybed itself feels nice enough.

I like the Kontrol strips.

The arpeggiator is nice, but sends no midi data itself from the board; rather it activates the arpeggiator built into the Komplete Kontrol software in your DAW. This can be worked around by making sure when you record your midi data that the Kontrol Patch has the arpeggiator turned on for play back, but it's a bit of a faff. The same functionality can be achieved without the s61 keyboard at all, just by using the Komplete Kontrol software (which as I said you can download for free).

On the whole, unless you tweak a lot in the software, I don't see masses of value to this, or at least not quite enough at this price point to see the worth in keeping it. If it was £250, definitely. At £500, no way.