Why become a member? ×

File my tail piece?

lobematt

Hey guys,

I've just changed the strings for the first time on my new upright and the ball end of the strings aren't sitting right. The A string has pinged out a few times while I've been trying to tighten the strings too. At the min I have enough tension on to keep the bridge in place but the bass isn't up to standard tuning. The new strings are a bit chunkier than the previous and I eased the slots with a bit of sand paper to get them where they are. Do I just need to get a little file and open the slots out? Is that what's making my A string fly out too?

Thanks!

Edited by lobematt

I can't see much detail in your photo but it looks as though the slots need lengthening a bit so the ball end is retained within the length of the slot and not towards the hole where it can pull out. Best to mark a pencil line in the direction of each slot and use either a keyhole saw and a file, or just a file if you've not got far to go. You could take off each string in turn so you keep the pressure on the bridge/soundpost. A small flat file with a serated edge will be best.

Its not a great photo but the width AND the lenght appear inadequate, and that's just with steels so it's gotta be pretty small in real life.
I'd say get a set of rat tails files and a steady nerve or take it to a luthier who will do it in 30 seconds.

Here's a link to David Gage's article on changing bass strings: https://davidgage.com/luthier.php?id=12

He recommends using a winder and if you're not using a winder, to pull the string through the hole on the winding peg until there is little slack left left in the playing length before you start winding.

Hope that helps! Let me know if the link doesn't work.