Why become a member? ×

From the colonies, comes forth... me?

nerkoids

Hi. I'm Canadian.

I am not strictly a bass player, but I've fallen in love with them. I'm in the process of learning and using them in recordings and also I've found it's influenced the way I compose music.

Glad to be here!

I have three basses: A Squier VM 70s Jazz, a Violin Bass copy from Equinox (custom made), and a S101 P-bass that will be a project bass (changes to come).

Pics a little later. Cheers! :D

[quote name='nerkoids' timestamp='1417363275' post='2619565']
I am not strictly a bass player...
[/quote]
[quote name='nerkoids' timestamp='1417363275' post='2619565'] I have three basses:
[/quote]

You, my fine fellow, will fit in just fine. Welcome to the mad-house :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Oh. It's been a while, peeps.

I've since gotten other instruments.

Here's the family again...

My first bass, [b]Spock[/b]. This is a Chinese-made, custom order through Equinox Musical instruments, a VB-01. Still use this bass on occasion, but I've since discovered that hollow-body basses like this one are basically a one-trick pony. They do that trick rather well, but aside from the comfortable scale and neck feel, this bass really can't cut it for some types of vintage bass lines.

Here's my second bass, [b]Veronica[/b], or [b]Ronnie [/b]for short. Still being relatively new to bass, and buying into all the stereotypes about Fender-based designs, I was crestfallen to discover that getting a proper lefty P-bass that was affordable and not be saddled with silly looking tort photo was pretty much out of the question. The dude who sold this to me (new) assured me that Jazz basses, even with a maple fingerboard (and no tort) have plenty of low end, they definitely can sound warm and deep with the right playing and strings, so he set me up with some Fender flats. Then I heard about GHS, and swapped the Fenders out, and they are permanently on this bass. This remains my #1 bass. It's so easy to play, it feels downright professional. And it's a beaut.

Remember the black P-bass from above? The S-101? Well, I christened him Donald, and took him out on the town to celebrate. Once he was released for jail, and the charges for public drunkenness and assault with a broken machine head were dropped, he returned home to basically look like the equivalent of Mickey Rourke:

He's since gained character, mostly under the form of a nice Calig B75 pickup (10.86 kOhms) and a decent large potentiometer wiring harness. Oh, and a few different sets of flatwounds, groundwounds, nylon wounds and pressurewounds. Now he's got some Webstrings monster flats on there. Neck is like a baseball bat, though...

Then there's this baritone, downtuned with a set of D'Addario Chromes to an open G. 3 semitones above bass E, so I think she qualifies. Her name is [b]Rosa[/b]:

And finally, a P-bass from a kit, with some upgrades, such as Classic Vibe bass tuners (they're reversible, incidentally, in case any of you were eyeing them on e-bay or elsewhere), a Guitarfetish overwound Pro (16.43 kOhms!), a nice tortie guard from the fine folks at guitars_electric (UK eBay vendor, great stuff, really quick shipping to Soviet Canuckistan) and plenty of Varnathane and Minwax tints, lacquer, paints and poly. She's called Sweet Georgia Brown: