Why become a member? ×

Harmonics?

JuliusGroove

I find the exact location of harmonics varies from bass to bass - it's worth spending some time trying to find the 'sweet spots' on the bass you're using (this is really important if you're doing artificial harmonics as well). On some of mine the 4th fret harmonics aren't directly above the fret.

In terms of right hand technique, try and get the string string underneath your fingernail, this will help to bring them out more.

If you're using a jazz bass then bridge pickup all the way. Using a compressor helps things but is by no means essential.

Good luck, Portrait of Tracy is a beast of a tune - I can never get that last chord to ring out the way Jaco does!

On all of my basses the 4th fret harmonic (which is the same as the 9th and 16th fret harmonic) is a couple of tenths of an inch behind the fret (back towards the nut) and the 3rd fret harmonic is about the same distance after the fret. It's just a case of finding them.

• 3 weeks later...

There is no harmonic at the 4th fret! There is one at 3.9, and one at 4.4. Similarly for the "3rd fret" there is one at 2.7, and one at 3.2.

On the left hand you want the lightest of touches with the smallest possible contact area. Try using the side of the finger tip rather than the pad of the finger tip, as it is a much smaller radius (one my fingers at least) and allows a smaller contact area.
The aim is to force a node at the point of contact, thus killing any frequencies that would require movement at that point, but not to dampen surrounding frequencies.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1419343329' post='2638931']
There is no harmonic at the 4th fret! There is one at 3.9, and one at 4.4. Similarly for the "3rd fret" there is one at 2.7, and one at 3.2.

On the left hand you want the lightest of touches with the smallest possible contact area. Try using the side of the finger tip rather than the pad of the finger tip, as it is a much smaller radius (one my fingers at least) and allows a smaller contact area.
The aim is to force a node at the point of contact, thus killing any frequencies that would require movement at that point, but not to dampen surrounding frequencies.
[/quote]

Agree about using the side of the finger, it reduces the dampening effect of the finger pad on the string.

[font="sans-serif"][color="#252525"]The harmonic at the 4th fret (or thereabouts) is the same as the one at the 9th, and the same as the note at the 4th fret.[/color][/font]

[font="sans-serif"][color="#252525"]​I like to play the fretted note on the 5th fret the string below, and play the harmonic at the 4th fret on the string above, a major 3rd.[/color][/font]

[font=sans-serif][color=#252525] :)[/color][/font]

Edited by ambient