Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass-Neck Pickup More Trebley Than Bridge

fordbass

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone here may be able to help with this one.
I have just upgraded pickups in my cheap Jazz copy to genuine Fender pickups bought off EBay (cant prove they are genuine, only have sellers word), and the neck pickup appears to be more trebley than the bridge, any ideas anyone?

I have installed them in the right places, checked length etc. just to make sure I hadnt put them in the wrong place.

With my usual Fender Jazz I usually play everything through the neck pickup but this is sounding a bit too trebley on this one, have I done something wrong?

Many thanks for looking

Cheers

Steve

The pick ups will/should both give the same performance (give or take) it's the position referenced to the string that makes the 'bridge' position normally more treble sounding.

Try reversing the polarity, swap the wires - assuming they're black & white - try them crossed over on one pick up, first choice the neck position.

Assuming you have VVT - with only one tone cap?

What sort of balance do you have regarding volume between both pickups? I've read that decreasing the string to pickup distance increases both treble and bass response so maybe the neck pickup needs to drop lower and the bridge pickup needs to come higher to even out the tone though this also affects the volume of each.