Why become a member? ×

Stagg EUB as first-step to DB.....

tinyd

Hi all
I've been playing electric bass for a long time and like plenty of others, I'm looking at a Stagg as a transition to playing DB. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is whether starting on a EUB will take me in the direction that I want to go, or will I learn 'bad EUB habits' that may make the transition to DB more difficult?

My situation is that I really can't afford to spend the 1500+ euro (I'm in Ireland) that it'll cost for a decent starter DB/strings/bag/setup/pickup at the moment, but I'm saving up slowly...In the meantime, I play in a mainly percussive Afro-Cuban band and the Stagg would enable me to get going right away.

If any players and/or teachers have any thoughts on the above I'd love to hear from you,

Cheers

Hi tinyd, like the sound of the afro-cuban outfit - well I've never played an EUB, much less a Stagg, but I made the transition from a slab to the upright about 20 years ago, never looked back. So my first reaction to your post was 'what the hell, just go straight to upright if that's what you want to play, shop around, you'll find one cheaper if you wait a bit', then I thought, 'well hang on, maybe you've got a point'.

Like I said, I've never played an EUB, so I can't comment on 'bad habits'. I guess an EUB will prepare you for the change in scale length and the angle of play, and would allow you to start gigging sooner. You can then gain experience and confidence, and work out whether it's for you. But, I doubt if it will prepare you for the physical challenge of getting a decent note out of an acoustic double bass. It's not just a question of technique, it really does need a lot more effort than a bass guitar. Plus, all the issues of amplifying a big acoustic instrument, that's knowledge and experience you could do with sooner rather than later. And (the real reason I started playing upright) - you can play it acoustically: when I first started playing I gigged regularly in a wholly acoustic old-time blues trio (guitar, washboard, upright bass), sometimes I still play acoustic at restaurant gigs.

I can totally see your reasons for considering the option as a step towards the real deal, and I have to confess that I'm looking at getting an EUB for travelling/flying (Eminence is getting my vote so far), but I'm glad I just jumped in at the deep end (pun intended). I'm looking forward to hearing what other players have to say, and to hearing what you decide and how you get on... cheers, Teej

Thanks very much for the replies gents
I think you've both helped and made it harder for me to decide at the same time :) I have no doubt that I'll enjoy the Stagg, but I definitely take teej's point about the effort and pleasure involved in getting a sound from a big lump of un-amplified wood!

I'm pretty sure from reading posts here and on TalkBass that cheap DBs are just not worth having, whereas the Stagg players round these parts seem totally happy with their purchase, so I'm still veering in that direction. But I'm going to keep my eyes peeled over the next few weeks for the right DB...

Anyway, thanks again and I'll keep you posted!

Dave

PS Teej - the afro-cuban thing is fun alright, and getting my head round the cuban bass tumbao is one of the most enjoyable things I've had to do on bass for years. Plus I get to play percussion sometimes, so it's all good stuff.

Go ahead and buy the Stagg, it's a good an introduction as you'll get for £350!

As for 'bad habits', I'd suggest booking a lesson with a sympathetic teacher (an experienced DB player will do - it doesn't have to be a registered 'proper' teacher) and have them show you the left and right hand basic techniques and a few warm up and ear training exercises. One lesson should provide you with about three years worth of practice material!
You'll find that a proper DB playing technique will get the best tone out of your Stagg so you shouldn't fall into any bad habits once you get going.

I'd also recommend buying a decent set of strings - you'll get a much more convincing DB sound and you may find the move to acoustic DB unnecessary....

Dave

+1 to getting lessons.

I moved fairly quckly from EUB to DB: I don't think it taught me bad habits - I was after a classical gig, so I had to have an acoustic instrument.

As indicated above, they are different instruments, and will react in their own way to Arco or pizz playing.

How wrong can you go for £350? Resale on an almost new one shouldn't be that much less - if nothing else because of demand outstipping supply at the moment.