Why become a member? ×

Any Fans of Fuzz out there?

0175westwood29

The answer to your original question ("Any Fans of Fuzz out there") is - 'Yes'. In fact you only have to go on the '[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/289-post-your-pedal-board-basschat-style/page__fromsearch__1"]Post your pedal board - Basschat style!![/url]' thread to see how many there are. Else, they only have Fuzz pedals on their boards because.. er, some of them look cool?

Fuzz. Distortion. Whatever. Next...

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1427491206' post='2731194']
Hell yeah, fuzz me up baby!

What I've come to realise is I don't like the muff sound. It sounds artificial to my ears, too clipped and buzzy, although I like the warmth and fatness.

I don't like the Zvex mammoth for the same reason, or the MXR El Grande bass fuzz.

I've just bought a Fender Sublime from the for sale section and I love it. It's exactly what I want from fuzz- fat, vintage, warm, creamy, and the fuzz sounds more like tube breakup than a wasp in a jam jar. Plus it sounds like my bass, just a fuzzier version. Too often fuzz sounds completely synthesised.

I also have a danelectro V1 cool cat fuzz which is a Frantone Peach Fuzz clone, love that too, not as much as the Sublime!

Sublime is huge though. Ridiculously so!
[/quote]

You would love the TAFM then!

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1427619053' post='2732272']
What's the difference between fuzz, distortion and overdrive? :unsure:

If I was looking for something akin to very light valve breakup, which would I get?
[/quote]

Overdrive! Although some low gain fuzzes will give you a nice breakup sound

If I was looking for something akin to very light valve breakup, which would I get?
[/quote]

as the guys above have said, you want a bit of overdrive, although it all depends on what amp you have as is always the case sometimes it might not sound like a valve break up, sometimes as again has been said a low gain fuzz will work nice aswell.

[/quote]

Overdrive will be the sort of sound you're looking for, I'd describe distortion as a higher gain version of overdrive & fuzz to me just sounds like a sh*tty broken cheap tranny amp - ghastly sound IMO but plenty of people love it.

I haven't heard many good demos of the TAFM so thought I would do a quick clip. This is one of the most dynamic fuzzes I've ever played, no settings are touched throughout, the variation in sound is just down to playing style. Pre-gain, fuzz and tone are all close to noon, mid boost switch on, and just a little bit of clean mixed in. This is the older TAFM without the switchable internal buffer, so the clean channel has all the top end rolled off which helps the two signals sit together better I find.

This is a Yamaha BB1025X with fairly old nickel rounds, into the pedal then an Orange Terror Bass and 2x Ampeg SVT210AV cabs, recorded with a Zoom H2 on a desk, off axis two feet away (I need a decent mic and stand!).

The volume was set very low as I had a sleeping baby downstairs, it sounds better when turned up a bit! I might try an redo it next time I'm home alone!

https://app.box.com/s/bli2zfbzd2owpoe3divhilx44rr7g3dv

[/quote]

What would you be putting it in front of? IME it's pretty damned ticklish to achieve "light valve breakup" from a pedal if you're running into a valve pre-amp.

Much easier if you're using the pedal as a way of compensating for NOT having real valves.

If you want to borrow some high-quality, little-used pedals to experiment with, let me know.

I find Fuzz working better when you're not trying to sound too rocky. As in, if done right, it adds a more synthy feel to the sound. Especially with a clean octave down, you can get some real cool sounds. Thats not to say OD and Distortion are wrong, they definately have their place, but I'd say fuzz should be treated as an 'effect' whereas I see the other two used to colour your existing tone.

Dont' know if that makes any sense.

I´ve been using a vt bass to add diferent [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] flavours to my sond, and i really like the tonal possibilities, from smoth [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]valve break up, to high gain overdrivel. But i´m think of combing a fuzz. Any thoughts on how it would work in a band context? I would like to add some new textures but I`really need to cut in the mix as i play in a instrumental rock/ metal/fusion [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]trio[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]How about the black arts, pharaoh or the LSTR?[/font][/color]