Why become a member? ×

Any Fans of Fuzz out there?

0175westwood29

so just a little post to say that ive always loved fuzz! ever since i tried my first big muff! been through so many but now have a selection yes! a selection that i love!

but got my new amp at the weekend an all valve ashdown CTM-100 and its just made them even more awesome!

so made this little video to show ppl!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTnrmKPAHj4

headphones are needed! and yes not the ideal mic but im really happy with the sound!

andy

Edited by icastle
Link Fixed.

I like fuzz and am currently quite interested in a smallsound/bigsound hawk as well a a fairfield four eye fuzz.
The unpleasant surprise is the only real fuzz I currently have. I like it a lot!
Priority for me at the moment however is getting an octave and an envelope filter.

Edited by abc

How's my old Speaker Cranker working out then? It's a great dirty boost.

I had an impulse Black Friday purchase of a new TAFM. Just because I love my original so much I want to see how the newer ones sound, they have a switchable buffer inside and a few tweaks here and there!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1417605838' post='2622107']
How's my old Speaker Cranker working out then? It's a great dirty boost.

I had an impulse Black Friday purchase of a new TAFM. Just because I love my original so much I want to see how the newer ones sound, they have a switchable buffer inside and a few tweaks here and there!
[/quote]

Working out very well use it to boost on top of my Godzilla, root and Tarkin they then become mental!!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1417696838' post='2623116']
I like fuzz on bass, but it needs to go before a low pass filter.
[/quote]
And after an octaver ;)

Iron Ether Oxide works extremely well for me. Will probably sell my Woolly Mammoth clone because the Oxide is so awesome.

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1417955862' post='2625373']
My W&C tall font Russian is still the go to fuzz, with a BB preamp to boost it and an OC2 for synth fuzz magic. Still love the malekko diabolik, it's a great contrast to a muff... but it's all about the W&C :)
[/quote]

never tried the W&C! think if i got another fuzz my band my kill me tho!

andy

• 3 months later...

[quote name='abc' timestamp='1417541133' post='2621526']
Priority for me at the moment however is getting an octave and an envelope filter.
[/quote]

if you can stretch to it; I would recommend the MuFX Octave Divder and TruTron3x.....they are awesome, tho a little bit big and the PSU is a drag

As for Fuzz....I love that too and still haven't found anything better than the ZVex Wooly Mammoth, which does benefit from having a compressor in front of it.

Edited by Bassnut62

I spent years thinking that I would like to try some kind of dirt for bass but struggled to find something I liked. I avoided fuzzes because of the name... It conjured a sound in my imagination that was unpleasant. Then, last year, I saw a YouTube video that compared various dirt boxes and one of them was a Big Muff, and I fell in love with the sound. So I built one. I have modded it a bit and will be adding more mods, but I am keeping the basic sound as an option, too. I also built a Musket, which is another modded Big Muff, which I haven't modded any further, yet, but will be doing at some point. I have them in the same box with an order switcher and a blend, I've named it Dank & Fetid. Love it.

Edited by KingBollock

The Chunk Brown Dog gated fuzz is my favourite (or the Brown Dog fuzz circuit in the Octavius Squeezer). Combine it with the 00Funk MkII for a fantastic synth too. I also have a modded Russian Big Muff that sounds fantastic on bass, especially with a bit of delay. Lastly, the Crowther Prunes & Custard is a lot of fun (synthy almost filter like on some settings and like no other fuzz or OD). I don't know how to categorise the P&C, Crowther describes it as a "Harmonic Generator Intermodulator" which I [i]think[/i] is a two stage fuzz (preamp with gain/drive), but I'm never quite sure :D

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1417605838' post='2622107']I had an impulse Black Friday purchase of a new TAFM. Just because I love my original so much I want to see how the newer ones sound, they have a switchable buffer inside and a few tweaks here and there!
[/quote]

Update, the new one didn't sound anywhere near as good as my old one, even with the new internal buffer disabled. I will be hanging onto this old one for dear life, best bass fuzz I've ever heard!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1427462175' post='2730667']
The Chunk Brown Dog gated fuzz is my favourite (or the Brown Dog fuzz circuit in the Octavius Squeezer). Combine it with the 00Funk MkII for a fantastic synth too. I also have a modded Russian Big Muff that sounds fantastic on bass, especially with a bit of delay. Lastly, the Crowther Prunes & Custard is a lot of fun (synthy almost filter like on some settings and like no other fuzz or OD). I don't know how to categorise the P&C, Crowther describes it as a "Harmonic Generator Intermodulator" which I [i]think[/i] is a two stage fuzz (preamp with gain/drive), but I'm never quite sure :D
[/quote]

Sounds like you would be a fan of the Tech21 Red Ripper and/or Source Audio Multiwave Bass Distortion if you like what the P&C does!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1427463656' post='2730697']
Sounds like you would be a fan of the Tech21 Red Ripper and/or Source Audio Multiwave Bass Distortion if you like what the P&C does!
[/quote] I had a good look at the Tech21 Red Ripper and very nearly got one on eBay recently. The only reason I didn't is that I've already got a lot of synthy fuzz on my board. I'll have to look at the Source Audio Multiwave though.

Hell yeah, fuzz me up baby!

What I've come to realise is I don't like the muff sound. It sounds artificial to my ears, too clipped and buzzy, although I like the warmth and fatness.

I don't like the Zvex mammoth for the same reason, or the MXR El Grande bass fuzz.

I've just bought a Fender Sublime from the for sale section and I love it. It's exactly what I want from fuzz- fat, vintage, warm, creamy, and the fuzz sounds more like tube breakup than a wasp in a jam jar. Plus it sounds like my bass, just a fuzzier version. Too often fuzz sounds completely synthesised.

I also have a danelectro V1 cool cat fuzz which is a Frantone Peach Fuzz clone, love that too, not as much as the Sublime!

Sublime is huge though. Ridiculously so!

Edited by cameltoe