Why become a member? ×

Highest tension E

Twincam

From what I've read Rotosound 77s are pretty high tension - I used these many years ago and I have to say I prefer Fender flats these days (which are lower tension but I like the tone). There's a thread on Talkbass about flatwound tension comparisons http://www.talkbass.com/threads/flatwound-string-tension-comparisons.591271/

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1417475562' post='2620892']
The E string is nearly always the lowest tension in any standard set (the D is usually the highest). If you are happy with the tension in the rest of the strings why not just go for a heavier E string?
[/quote]
Exactly. The traditional Fender flats E string is either a 95 or a 100, and as you state, the medium set has a 105. Until Fender discontinued the set, I played the CL set, which is the same as the L set, but with a 105 E string instead of the 100 E string, for the same reasons. Fender does not sell single strings.

Rotosound sells a 110 separately; La Bella sells a 109 separately (the 110 is part of the Jamerson set); D'Addario sells a 110 separately; Ernie Ball sells a 110 separately. These are probably your best choices. From my experience, the Ernie Ball has a similar, if a more subdued growl, to the Fender set, and is the best match for this purpose.

If you get too large a diameter, then the string will get too stiff, and ironically, contrary to the conventional wisdom that a heavier string will result in more sustain and tone, which it does to a point, you will go beyond the usable range and start to lose tone, overtones and sustain if the string is too stiff. So 110 is about the limit of a usable flatwound E string.

All that said, about the heaviest commercially available set is the La Bella Jamerson set, 52-73-95-110; the Fender medium set is 55-70-90-105. So getting a 110 E string may be the best option. Now, you will only gain about two to three pounds of tension, and that may or may not be significant, depending on your playing style. But that is all there is. Finally, among the 110's, yes, the Rotosound monel has the reputation of being the strongest tension string available for a given gauge, but I don't know how the tone will match.

Edited by iiipopes