Why become a member? ×

Modulus Flea too hot?

40hz

Hi guys

Wonder if anyone can shed any light on why this might be. Everytime I play my Modulus Flea through an amp of any description (Trace Elliot, Peavey, Hartke and Ashdown so far) I get this overdriven, grindy farty sound (mostly on the fundamental) as if the signal is waaaaayyy too hot. I've experimented and the sound is still present when I turn the gain down on the amp, I boost bass and treble about 2/3rds of the way on the aguilar obp-1 preamp, but even wound down it seems to be there. Recorded it doesn't seem to suffer from it and when i played direct through a PA it was mostly as clean as a whistle. I've tried lowering the pickup slightly and that didn't seem to alter the sound. Changed the batteries to fresh 9v's and that didnt help. Tried backing off the bass on the amp's eq. I dig in hard when playing and have a lot of attack, but my Jazz doesnt seem to suffer so bad with this grindyness. Really peeved off as i want a super clean and smooth bottom end to go with the snap and i just cant get it through an amp. Possibly a trim pot issue?

Any ideas from you guys? Other Fleabass owners?

Cheers!!

Edited by 40hz

I get similar things happening sometimes - usually pickup height or fresh battery solves it, but the other thing I tend to try is using one of the effects slots in my MS60B or B3 with one of the preamps which have a HPF... seems to knock off the bits that the amp can't handle without adversely affecting the rest of the sound too much.

[quote name='stoo' timestamp='1417509236' post='2621002']
I get similar things happening sometimes - usually pickup height or fresh battery solves it, but the other thing I tend to try is using one of the effects slots in my MS60B or B3 with one of the preamps which have a HPF... seems to knock off the bits that the amp can't handle without adversely affecting the rest of the sound too much.
[/quote]

Stoo, what sort of pickup height are you running mate?

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1417520349' post='2621207']
Stoo, what sort of pickup height are you running mate?
[/quote]

I've got a Stingray and a EBMM SUB rather than a modulus so not likely to be directly comparable - factory settings are 6/32" (4.76mm) between pickup cover and strings... I've adjusted the polepieces on my pickups so they sit pretty much flush with the top of the pickup cover and lowered the pickup a little bit - would need to measure when I next have the bass in front of me, but I'd guess at around 6mm between E string and pickup cover now...

Hello mate. I found on mine that I have to use a Compressor all the time. The 18v pre amp is seriously powerful and very spikey. When using a compressor you can have a regular pickup height, rather than lowering it and compromising on the tone. I tried an Aguilar compressor but strangely enough, the Aguilar preamp was too much for it so I traded it for a MXR and that works great, really suits the bass nicely. Not only is it a problem solved, but I reckon a compressor is always good anyway for big tones, IMO.

Cheers guys, been fiddling about with it for the past hour or so, recording direct and really listening. It's definitely a gain issue, i think I underestimated just how hot the 18v Aguilar is. It's INSANE. So basically, backing off the gain (more than i thought i'd have to) has really improved the sound. Was thinking a compressor would do the trick as well chiliwailer. Thanks for the input!

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1417524862' post='2621288']
Cheers guys, been fiddling about with it for the past hour or so, recording direct and really listening. It's definitely a gain issue, i think I underestimated just how hot the 18v Aguilar is. It's INSANE. So basically, backing off the gain (more than i thought i'd have to) has really improved the sound. Was thinking a compressor would do the trick as well chiliwailer. Thanks for the input!
[/quote]

Absolutely, and with the graphite neck it's doubly insane!!!! Enjoy!

*Update*

Finally got to test it in anger and took it to band last night, using it with far less gain but boosting output/volume wielded a supremely aggressive yet clean, non farty tone. Very happy now!