Why become a member? ×

The Who live in Leeds

Bassmonkey

Saw The Who last night at the Leeds Arena. They were amazing. Great band, great stage show with montage footage running behind them throughout. Pino was on bass and bossed it then they did a really clever bit where there was a bass solo and the footage cut to Entwistle playing. The show went quiet with The Ox blasting it out. Really clever and made the night. That having been said, the block we were sat in was like a blooming library. Was the most soul less audience I've ever been a part of. Still an ace night though.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1417680232' post='2622895']
Sorry - I misread the thread title as "Who lives in Leeds?" :blush:

And I don't even live in Leeds... :D
[/quote]
I read it as
[b] "The Who live in Leeds"[/b]

As in, they live , in leeds.

Edited by gapiro

Saw them live at Dunstable Civic, they'd just released Tommy, (so that makes it early summer 1969, I think) and the bloody audience spent most of the night sitting down, like it was a John Peel revival night. At the end we got Magic Bus and Barbara Ann, amongst others as the Who proved that they were (probably) the best surfer band in the world.
I'd have paid the full admission price just to see the last fifteen minutes!
:D

Edited by taunton-hobbit

Saw them last night in Liverpool, and it was indeed an amazing gig! Bass monkey is spot on - Baba O'Reilly and 5.15 were incredible, as was most of the set really. One of the few gigs I've been to where every song has been a belter - none of this "songs from our new/obscure experimental album" nonsense!

Pino Palladino made bass playing look absolutely effortless, but I was disappointed with how little he featured. Kind of understandable, but on the other hand Zak Starkey got plenty of time on the big HD screen behind the stage, and was overall incredible - even playing along in perfect time to the Jon Entwistle bass solo!

Loved the gig, hopefully I'll remember more of it than the last time some 14 years ago.

Saw them at NIA last Sunday. Fantastic show - Pete in good humour, Rog in excellent voice all the way through and Zak was a real star playing Moon-like but seemingly effortlessly. Contrast that with the huffing and puffing that some of today's drummers put out. (that Coldplay clown eg)

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1418393517' post='2629860']
Saw them at NIA last Sunday. Fantastic show - Pete in good humour, Rog in excellent voice all the way through and Zak was a real star playing Moon-like but seemingly effortlessly. Contrast that with the huffing and puffing that some of today's drummers put out. (that Coldplay clown eg)
[/quote]

Hugely off topic I know, but the guy from Coldplay is only the drummer because when their drummer didn't show for rehearsal back in the dark ages, he swapped from rhythm guitar to the sticks 'temporarily'. I understand he doesn't play drums, except with the band, and doesnt even own a kit.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1418416248' post='2630131']

Hugely off topic I know, but the guy from Coldplay is only the drummer because when their drummer didn't show for rehearsal back in the dark ages, he swapped from rhythm guitar to the sticks 'temporarily'. I understand he doesn't play drums, except with the band, and doesnt even own a kit.
[/quote]

That explains a lot.