Why become a member? ×

Mac vs pc

Damonjames

Ok, so I know this is an old argument, and there is not a lot of difference but I need some specific advice.
I have a 2012 iMac as the family pc, which would be the ideal machine to use for home recording. The trouble is it sits in our home office, not
My practice room! I have spoken to the mrs about me hijacking it but she is obviously
Not too keen. I was in asda the other day and they have laptops for a couple of hundred quid, would something like that be enough to do a couple if live and some virtually tracks? I could use the iMac when needed, but just thinking in a more permanent basis.
I would look to use the focusrite Scarlett or something similar with the free protools/cubase or whatever it comes with in both the laptop on and mac for working on projects.

Cheers for advice!

much of a muchness really, i think most interfaces work on both, as does most software (apart from pro-tools)

i've always used a pc for my recording and never had an issue, did use a mac on a recording course i did, and did exactly the same thing but i didn't click with it. i build my own computers anyway, so for me it cheaper to build a daftly powerful pc than it is to build a mac.

one thing i will say is don't buy a cheap laptop. a lot of supermarket level are well priced for usual day to day use, but even simple recording can be demanding on the system. check the specs of any possible software you want to use and interfaces etc, and buy a laptop that is above these specs if possible.

hope that helps

I've just made the switch from WinXP pc to 2011 iMac (Mavericks) for my studio computer. Things to watch out for:

VST compatibility. Some of my favourite pc VSTs don't work on mac (for example all the Kjaerhus plugins). Might be a thing to consider, especially if you've bought them. Some VST instruments didn't make the transition very well with lots of samples not found messages despite doing a complete reinstall to the default location. (IK Multimedia SonikSynth/Sample Moog etc).

Drivers. My Tascam US1641 interface worked very well with my low spec pc/Reaper combination. When I tried it on mac, the Tascam drivers are still in beta (for Mavericks/Yosemite) and comparatively there's a lot more latency (audible when monitoring your own singing through headphones). For comparison, I used a Focusrite Saffire Pro and managed a total latency of 1.3ms with the same buffer settings compared to 16ms with the Tascam. I can only conclude that the Tascam beta drivers are poor.

Advantages:

Stability
Ease of use
Nice to look at.

Regarding the spec of any machine, it depends what you want to do with it and what DAW you use. Reaper can be put on a smallish USB stick and doesn't require huge system resources. I've been recording 8 channels of drums on a Windows Vista laptop with the Tascam without any significant latency. If you're using samples/soft synths/convolution reverbs you might need something a little more up to date.

cheers

In more general terms, most of the arguments I've heard seem to boil down to a Windows PC offering cheaper, replaceable and generally more reliable hardware, but unfortunately you have to use Windows; and Mac having a much more stable OS, but expensive, exclusive and dubious hardware. It's easy to see why a lot of people seem to prefer Mac for most creative things: the software is much less frustrating, you just have to hope that nothing mechanical starts to fail outside the warranty.

My geek badge obliges me to point out that you can probably get the best of both worlds by running a well-supported flavour of Linux on a PC - but to keep it relevant to this thread, the available DAWs, whilst impressive for free, open-source software, aren't yet on a par with the Reapers, Logics, etc of this world. With a certain amount of work, you can probably add extra packages to build up similar functionality, but I haven't quite got that far, and most people will want something that works straight out of the box!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1417774299' post='2623840']
Commodore 64 every time. Spectrums are rubbish.
[/quote]

I'll smack 'em both out of the park with my Amstrad CPC464 - easily the most bat-shaped of the 8 bit computers with that built in cassette recorder ;)

Windows 8.1 or 7 for that matter are reliable and rock solid regarding DAW's.
Any problems are usually down to Audio card/USB Audio/Midi units or stuff running in the back ground, or even pilot error.

As said above a cheap Laptop will have a budget CPU and Motherboard, limited Ram etc, ok for general use but will struggle
with (certainly) VSTI's and have a limited track count, plus FX will start to grind your Laptop down.

Does it have to be a Laptop? if not, spend a little bit more on a Desktop, you will get a better spec machine for DAW use.

Before a Mac vs PC bun fight starts out, I use both in my Studio running various DAW and Sampler related Apps
networked together. They both do the job equally as good.
PC's have come along away and get just as much love these days in the Professional Audio world.

[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Ultimately, it’s all about…[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]1) Whichever operating system your prefer and are most comfortable using. And importantly, whichever is going to least get in the way of your music-making. I’ve used Macs for years and get frustrated using PCs (no doubt due to my own ignorance), so I stick with Mac through and through. I know where everything is. I know what everything does. I know how to get things working quickly. So I don’t need to go thinking about the OS as part of my workflow. Job done.[/size][/size][/font]

[size=4][font="Helvetica"]2) RAM! RAM! And more RAM! Processor speed is also important, but ideally you want a computer with bucketloads of memory. Mine doesn’t have bucketloads of memory… so I frequently have to render individual tracks when working on a mix, otherwise my computer’s CPU starts complaining. So investing in RAM (8Gb or more is ideal) is money well spent.[/font][/size]
[font=Helvetica]
[size=4]My own next computer will probably be a mid-range Mac Mini (I currently run a 2010 iMac). They're surprisingly powerful and reasonably priced... well, reasonably priced for an otherwise over-priced Mac ;)[/size][/font]

+1 for the newish Mac Mini - even a used one (2012 say) will only set you back about £300/£350 second hand. You can use generic memory to upgrade if necessary.

For me it's a no brainer. Mac wins hands down everytime due to the fact it is really plug and play, very rarely will anything go wrong. And if something does go wrong, you can just call apple and they will talk you through fixing it in a language you understand. Very few 'pros use PCs.

Even with modern PC's, there are just too many variables in the chain. Some people will get good results with them, but a lot of people will experience a lot of hair pulling.

(just to point out, i made my fortune (onto my second one now!) as a Microsoft centric software developer, I am a Microsoft Partner. Microsoft based systems are good for some things, but as a professional I wouldn't advocate them for music production).

It's just as Skol33 says: RAM, RAM, RAM.

Also, don't record to your boot drive (generally this one has your DAW installed on it too) - laptops are generally 5400rpm, and the access times are sluggish - particularly when you're pulling several tracks of at least CD quality all at the same time. External firewire/SSD is recommended for that sort of stuff.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1417776013' post='2623861']
[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4]1) Whichever operating system your prefer and are most comfortable using. And importantly, whichever is going to least get in the way of your music-making. I’ve used Macs for years and get frustrated using PCs (no doubt due to my own ignorance), so I stick with Mac through and through. I know where everything is. I know what everything does. I know how to get things working quickly. So I don’t need to go thinking about the OS as part of my workflow. Job done.[/size][/size][/font]
[/quote]

This pretty much. I started on a MacBook Pro then moved to Windows. I've used Windows for years and used a Mac at work for 4 and a half years before requesting a Windows laptop. Don't listen to the arguments that Macs are more stable than Windows. That might have been true back in the days of Windows 95/98 but both Mac and PC are fine now (incidentally, I had more problems with OSX crashing and having compatibility problems than Windows 7). My PC doubles up as my gaming PC and photo PC (triples up...) so it's got 16GB of fast gaming RAM, an overclocked and super-cooled i7 CPU, silent case with nice large fans and an SSD.

I built my own PC so know how to trouble-shoot which puts me at an advantage for using PCs. Macs are pretty much sealed boxes. If my motherboard fails in my PC I can swap it out and replace it and keep my RAM and CPU. If that happens in a Mac you just talk to someone at Apple who'll tell you in your language that the whole thing is buggered and you should buy a new one. ;) Kidding of course, they'll likely just replace the motherboard if it's under warranty. It really does depend on your comfort level with either tinkering or buying a sealed box you can't adjust.

So anyway, pick which ever operating system you're used to and it will be plainer sailing than switching to another. Both systems are as easy to use as each other in my experience but switching from one to the other is not.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1417815841' post='2624363']
This pretty much. I started on a MacBook Pro then moved to Windows. I've used Windows for years and used a Mac at work for 4 and a half years before requesting a Windows laptop. Don't listen to the arguments that Macs are more stable than Windows. That might have been true back in the days of Windows 95/98 but both Mac and PC are fine now (incidentally, I had more problems with OSX crashing and having compatibility problems than Windows 7). My PC doubles up as my gaming PC and photo PC (triples up...) so it's got 16GB of fast gaming RAM, an overclocked and super-cooled i7 CPU, silent case with nice large fans and an SSD.

I built my own PC so know how to trouble-shoot which puts me at an advantage for using PCs. Macs are pretty much sealed boxes. If my motherboard fails in my PC I can swap it out and replace it and keep my RAM and CPU. If that happens in a Mac you just talk to someone at Apple who'll tell you in your language that the whole thing is buggered and you should buy a new one. ;) Kidding of course, they'll likely just replace the motherboard if it's under warranty. It really does depend on your comfort level with either tinkering or buying a sealed box you can't adjust.

So anyway, pick which ever operating system you're used to and it will be plainer sailing than switching to another. Both systems are as easy to use as each other in my experience but switching from one to the other is not.
[/quote]

this is pretty much the same as me, i built mine as a gaming pc when i first met my wife (some 7 years ago) and its power has allowed it to handle everything and any problems i have been able to troubleshoot and rectify easily...

it is due a rebuild so maybe i'll as the PC or Mac question in a couple of months.....

i would always go with what you are comfortable with, either will do what you want if you get the right spec, but don't go trying to learn a windows system if you are a mac man and vice versa

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1417821139' post='2624422']
i built mine as a gaming pc when i first met my wife (some 7 years ago) and its power has allowed it to handle everything and any problems i have been able to troubleshoot and rectify easily...
[/quote]

So if you want to stay married for seven years, get a PC :D

Have you thought about recording to an iPad? This is also a viable option, especially with cubasis. Very portable and no disk / fan noise to worry about. Plenty of iOS compatible interfaces and cheap software. I'm planning to go this route in favour of PC or Mac.

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1417873675' post='2624741']
Have you thought about recording to an iPad? This is also a viable option, especially with cubasis. Very portable and no disk / fan noise to worry about. Plenty of iOS compatible interfaces and cheap software. I'm planning to go this route in favour of PC or Mac.
[/quote]

Don't iPads come with garageband ?

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1417918589' post='2625167']
Yes, iPads do come with Garageband. I'm considering Cubasis for iPad, as it offers multiple simultaneous input channels (depending on the interface).
[/quote]

If you want a really in depth set up for iPad.
Cubasis has a lot more features than GarageBand.
MIDI is much more advanced, and is proberly the nearest
full featured App close to a Desktop DAW that you will get.

Two interfaces worth considering (both with Midi in/out)....
Focusrite iTrack/Dock.
http://uk.focusrite.com/ios-audio-interfaces/itrack-dock#

And the Alesis iDock.
http://www.alesis.com/iodock

Although with Cubasis and one of the above, you are looking at just under £200.
But would be a very good solid mobile set up.

Edited by lowdown

This might sound stupid, but how far is your practice room from your home office? I'm just thinking a USB/Firewire cable might stretch, in which case, you have your interface etc in the practice room, and then remote control the iMAC using your phone or another computer to record