Why become a member? ×

Glasgow Studio Electronics (GSE) ?

dmccombe7

Been quoted by GSE to upgrade my recently purchased US 110V Ampeg SVT4PRO (2001) to 220V circa £250. Transformer from Ampeg obviously biggest cost.
Does anyone on BC have any experience or kknowledge of them and whether they are worthwhile.
Its the older version without the transformer tapping tabs. Tx is hard-wired on both input / outputs with trailing wires.

Dave

You could get something like this and save a lot of cash. http://www.tooled-up.com/product/twin-16amp-socket-110v-power-tool-transformer-3.3kva/998/?Referrer=googleproductlisting&gclid=CjwKEAiA74qkBRCdrM-6or7U73QSJABCDL9pYugOAkzQHSipC8Om_uZZ1qRE1FWVYgeZ60DWIgK82BoC_Ofw_wcB

yep did look at that but they are shown as intermittent transformers usually for power tools and altho they get used for lighting they do cut out if used for too long with decent sized load.
Other option was to build a 19"rack mounted power supply myself but then double the weight.
Amp is heavy as it is and would be nice to keep it all tidy.
Appreciate the thought tho Bertbass.
The guy has sent me a photo of the internals of one he's done before to confirm it is exactly same as mine ie one of the older versions so he does come across as quite competent and seems to be taking the time to put my mind at ease.

Cheers
Dave