Why become a member? ×

NBD - i finally succumbed to 5 string GAS

Number6

So as i work all around London for the last few days i've had to walk through Central London and always walk down Denmark St if i get a chance to see what's basses are on show. A couple of days back i noticed in Wunjo's window a Pewter coloured Yamaha TRBX 305.....anyway today i finally decided to give the 5 a whirl having never played one before in my life.

First up i tried a 4 string TRBX 504 as i was still putting off picking up a 5 stringer.....but finally i did and wow what an array of sounds this Yamaha has. The active electrics with five position switch, bass and treble and pup balance give a really wide range of sounds from this instrument. I had a good look over it and first impressions are it looks very well made with a comfortable neck and not too heavy at all.

Tom & Tom were very helpful as always even saying to me that if i don't get on with the 5 string that i could bring it back and they'd order in the 4 for me. Wunjo's really are on the button when it comes to customer service.

The bass seems great and i am going to persevere with 5 strings, i am also now a Yamaha owner which is more or less the same as joining a secret society lol.

Wish me luck...... :)

Looks like a great bass. Enjoy.

1 more string works so well for bass in terms of how scales and modes fold out over the lower strings.

So much potential for adding those thirds below to make boring triads into a gorgeous tetra-chord 7th.

Key difference is YOUR psychology so get practising those scales over all the strings.

P.S. I my experience Yamaha basses are built like tanks so you're on a journey with this one!

Nice one, I almost got one a couple of months ago. I ended up with a TRBX505 instead, which for me offered things the 305 doesn't, but played the same.
I was going to sell mine as I'm not sure I really need 5 strings, and I do prefer Jazz basses, but everytime I pick it up I change my mind.
I'll never love mine completely, but I do enjoy playing it, and even more looking at it.

Edited by dave_bass5

Paul congrats - having tried to dip the toe into 5'er land a few times when it finally clicked for me was when I stopped trying to throw in the lower notes and basically started to play all my normal parts using the b string notes as my root notes i.e. using the G on the B string in l pace of the E string sort of thing and basically taking all my originals band stuff and moving it 'along and down' where possible to again us the B string. Once I switched my mindset as Visog said I feel that the 5 has actually opened up the fretboard.

I'd bought the 5 primarily for my originals band but actually use it exclusively now. My one other snippet of advice is play the 5 exclusively for a good month or so, don't go back the 4 string no matter how tempting - persevere with it and you'll not look back :)

Good luck mate ..I moved on to a fiver about 3 years ago ...best thing I ever did ..took a little while ..though I would say I'm pretty
Awfull on 4s now ...I had trbx505 loved the array of sounds and for the money they put a lot of £1000.00 bass's to Shame just wish I'd got black one instead of white ;(..

All my previous Yamaha encounters were either Keyboards or drum machines. I'd never played a Yamaha bass before this one.
Before seeing the TRBX range I had looked briefly at thier other basses in this sort of price range, but most had that horrible pickup surround that makes them look like a Woolworths bass from the 70's.

I remember having a hard time to keep the B from ringing when playing my first fiver many years ago.
Having a tight sounding low B is really nice though and nowadays I have to think creative when playing a four string as I incorporate the low B string in my playing a lot, even when playing from E or higher.

I played 5s and 6s for about 15 years before going back to a 4 again but I've just bought myself a BB425 which should be delivered today.

I've just joined another wedding/function band after 18 months in a rock band and every time we play Get Lucky I really wish I had that B. Anything higher than that I don't bother about as I have a D tuner on the Precision.

I did have a TRB6-II fretless which doubled as an ironing board. Man that neck was wide.

Always loved the old BB4000 & 5000 so that's part of the reason I went with the 425. Plus I like the idea of the hot output from the pickups and minimal controls

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1419337900' post='2638855']
I went from 4-strings straight to a 6-string and I've played it exlusively since buying it up until a few days ago when I played a 4-string again. The 4-strings actually feel a little bit like toys now :blush:
[/quote]

The first time I picked up a 4 again the neck felt like I was holding a pencil in comparison to the 6, especially the Yamaha