Why become a member? ×

NOW GONE - FREE 100 Watt Bass Combo Project

tazza1

Following a phone call from my Dad I have just re-discovered an old Pearl Bass Combo that I had abandoned at his house
around 20 years ago. It is a rare Pearl (as in the drum company) SG-101B bass combo. It's a large heavy beast (I took a pic with it next to a radiator so you can gauge the size) & is very solidly built with sturdy side handles. It is a ported cab with a 1x15" speaker & I believe it's 100 watts (old school watts!).

This combo was gigged extensively so has loads of "mojo" from being loaded & unloaded into & out of vans/venues etc.
It was only abandoned when I was asked to join a new band as they owned a Peavey T-Max which I inherited. It had been serviced & had a new speaker fitted just prior to being retired.

Unfortunately this has been stored in a damp under stairs cupboard so will need someone with electrical knowledge to check it out to ensure it's safe.
I have briefly plugged it in & switched it on, the power light lights up but I have not plugged a bass into it so I don't know whether it still works. There was some crackling when I turned the volume, treble, bass & middle dials so it may be that the pots could do with a spray of switch cleaner. As you can see the covering is a little bit "musty" but I think this would clean up - there are tears in the covering & speaker grill from all the use it got.

If you want this you will need to collect it as there is no way I'm packing this up & taking it to the Post Office!!

Options for collection are:
Collect from Desborough Northants (Weekend or some eves) or from near Thurmaston in Leicester (Weekday daytime) or possibly Hales In Norfolk (weekend) at a push.

[u][b]DISCLAIMER[/b][/u]

This amp hasn't been used for twenty years, I don't know what condition it is in electrically & it has been stored in a damp environment so it is your responsibility to ensure it is safe to use. I would strongly recommend getting the electrics checked out. I will accept no responsibility if you plug this in & electrocute yourself or other people!!

Hopefully this will be of use to someone but if no-one contacts me for it within a couple of weeks it will go to the local tip as it's taking up too much space.

Pics:

[attachment=177952:3TGwGR0HktMgEF92VqJgjANsXxHaSZEA5rrPstnCgw_s0-.jpg] [attachment=177953:D9e_ezpiDLqjRVNs4yAqkLePJBDyGTGgDUYLKE0slw_s0-d.jpg] [attachment=177954:F175p9J217Mj1GayZfV477hqje2-4YeMRhCQJYZ0yQ_s0-.jpg] [attachment=177955:KnGJraKrDATzSrpgRNBx1mJADZMqutnScpQiXLWUEg_s0-.jpg] [attachment=177956:rmUKDrnIP_09TByL3gkkFhdgacILiVTWkrTl67xfZg_s0-d.jpg] [attachment=177957:sDAhC_7UMSUuzz2JqwtaR-3liO7Zx2dDNoIkts9TBg_s0-d.jpg] [attachment=177958:X8C69-ennhkLoS5XNwEX93ROeRs4vV1HHo1ur2zAWw_s0-d.jpg] [attachment=177960:Y3bsFeiGn4IkMRNQA9hhN6Jz00_ED666MaeWGjMpEA_s0-d.jpg]

Edited by tazza1

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1417807220' post='2624272']
Living in Leicester, I was tempted by this. However, after some thought, I don't have the skills to check it out for electrical safety. Looks like a nice project for someone with more electrical nous than I.
[/quote]

I did think about you when I put it on here. It's a shame - do you know anyone who could check it for you?

[quote name='tazza1' timestamp='1417809048' post='2624298']
I did think about you when I put it on here. It's a shame - do you know anyone who could check it for you?
[/quote]

I did think seriously about it, but I can near guarantee that if I took it off your hands, it would sit around waiting for me to get around to doing something about it. I hope it goes somewhere where it will be properly restored and used.

[quote name='Shabbs' timestamp='1417988938' post='2625846']
How about a sponsored push up to me in Glasgow :gas: :gas: :gas: ?
[/quote]

Well it is on wheels! It would be OK going downhill (although I wouldn't want to be the one who had to stop it) but when it came to going uphill it would need a winch fitting & a handy nearby tree, preferably something big & sturdy like an Oak tree, to attach the rope to.

I'm sure there are plenty of Basschatters who would sponsor you to push it - I bet they would even come & cheer you on :D

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='CyberBass' timestamp='1419873886' post='2643435']
Thanks for delivering. Have started working on her. Have put on amps page with pics after cleaning. Will keep you posted how she turns out :-) thanks again
[/quote]

Yes please let me know how you get on with her. Look forward to seeing how she turns out.