Why become a member? ×

70s Fender Precision Pickups

Lozz196

I`ve heard it said that these are more scooped sounding that those from other decades/pedigrees. Certainly my 78 seems to have a very aggressive sound, but less chunky in the mids (mainly lower) than more recent Fenders I`ve had. Is this really down to the pickups, or more to do with the body material - 70s ones being ash, as oppose to later ones being alder?

Edited by Lozz196

My 76P was scooped and seemed to have a little more top end than usual, but whether that was down to the maple neck or the pickups I don't know. Not an extreme scoop in my case - still very nice warm tone and thump when needed but also that 70s clang when hit with a pick.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1417896562' post='2624978']
I have to say I've always found maple neck Precisions to be brighter.
[/quote]

Well I`ve found that in comparison to my own rosewood necked ones, but my current backup is an alder Precision w maple, and there is a much warmer/chunkier sound to this bass, and to my ears less top than on the 78 (like Discreet says with his 76) which is ash w maple. Still not sure if ash body or 70s pickups is the culprit for "the scoop" though.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1417898095' post='2624992']

Well I`ve found that in comparison to my own rosewood necked ones, but my current backup is an alder Precision w maple, and there is a much warmer/chunkier sound to this bass, and to my ears less top than on the 78 (like Discreet says with his 76) which is ash w maple. Still not sure if ash body or 70s pickups is the culprit for "the scoop" though.
[/quote]

My Hoppus is ash (granted with rosewood rather than maple) and I thought it sounder warmer than your 78 when we had the Precision-off at the Herts bash. So PERHAPS the scoop is more to do with the pickups. Far from conclusive though!

• 11 months later...

Guys, hope u don't mind this being only my second post etc but I just love this subject.
My 71 alder/rosewood P with original PU is heavyish and a bit of a funny one. G string is loud and very middly irrespective of PU height, with the middle strings middly but quieter and a low E with bags of low mid almost thunderous....very satisfying
Just wish there was a bit more balance across the board, makes for some funny attack patterns.

Edited by ians