Why become a member? ×

13.8 Billion Years in the Making

André Boström

Hello! :)

I'm a Sweden-based bassist with a mere 22 years on my neck.

I have played the bass intermittently since my early teenage years. In my late teenage years I played in a technical death metal band (and was into all kinds of music, I suppose I was just looking for my musical identity at the time). After many years I have come to realize that some music has always stuck with me. Progressive rock mostly... I'm quite into the Australian progressive/alternative rock scene at the moment.

But I wouldn't be a bassist today if it wasn't for my father. I am extremely grateful that he led me on the right path (subjective).

He played me a Thin Lizzy record when I was young and jealous of my brother, who had just gotten a guitar for his birthday. My father explained that there were other instruments that make up music, too. Of course that was an obvious fact, but I guess I was just so fixated on the fact that my brother had gotten the chance to learn an instrument, that I wanted the same thing (kids will be kids). I inherited my father's old vinyl player which he owned when he himself was just a teenager. I started playing random records from his old collection and slowly started to learn what I enjoyed listening to (by realizing I would do repeated listens to some records).

What I quickly learned was that I was very fond of Rush and Thin Lizzy. Geddy Lee and Phil Lynott were great role models for my early bass playing years. They were both center stage figures within their respective bands and that was an inspiration. Since then I have spiraled into all fields of music and I listen to a wide variety of music.

I realize now that I really haven't shared this story with anyone... I hope it might bring some nostalgia/memories to anyone reading this :).

I own a 60Hz Hartke speaker with a Jackson Kelly bass (one of these):
[url="http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/058/1/5/jackson_kelly_bass_guitar_by_metalshark69-d4r5vmt.jpg"]http://fc07.devianta...k69-d4r5vmt.jpg[/url]

At my parent's home I have my cheap Richwood bass which is almost not even worth mentioning. But everybody loves their first instrument!
I found this lovely website when I was looking for a new bass (Warwick Thumb NT 6). I've got a deal going already and I'm really stoked!

I'm going to stick around, because I have quite a few questions in my backpocket :).

Thanks for reading,

- André

Edited by André Boström