Why become a member? ×

Combining Bass Guitar + Computer Output Into Headphones

André Boström

Hello!

I looked around a bit on the forums and tried to find a similar thread but couldn't find what I was looking for...
So either I am blind or I am just using the wrong search terms. Burn me if you must.

What I have:

I have my bass + 60Hz hartke speaker (and my desktop computer).
A pair of AKG K701 reference headphones.

What do I [u]need[/u] in order to playback my bass through computer into my headphones and still be able to feed audio from windows?
I'm assuming I would have to have some sort of gear linked between my amp and my computer. I am in unfamiliar territory. Help! :unsure:

I enjoy playing along to music and also recording bass tracks over other pre-recorded tracks (guitar/drums etc.)
However... I don't want to drive my neighbours crazy :rolleyes: so I'm looking for a solution. Thankfully they haven't come knocking yet.
I used to live in a place where this wasn't a problem and have never needed to investigate this before.

I would like to be able to do this in any case, even if I didn't have neighbours.
Basically, I want to eliminate all sound outside of my headphones and have it all contained within my AKGs.

I'm sure there is a multitude of people around here who can relate and have already solved this conundrum! Even though I can't find those threads.

Thanks for reading :gas: !

- André

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1417903847' post='2625043']
a usb interface may help, mine allows me to set a level between what comes out of the computer and what is coming directly from the guitar/input
[/quote]

Hey RockfordStone.

So what you're saying essentially is that you are able to feed out both your instrument and the audio from your operating system directly to your headphones/speakers?

What do you mean exactly by 'setting a level'? Do you mean that you can change the output volume of your instrument/amp via the USB interface - before it's mixed with the audio output from the operating system?
If that is the case, then I might need to look into such a device. What is it that you use? I need to start my research somewhere. :blush:

Thanks!

- André

If you're just wanting to jam, then something the Vox Amplug2 would work. Take the audio feed from your computers headphone socket, plug it into the Vox. You can play along with an audio feed.

If you're wanting to record your bass, you'll need some recording software, and an Audio Interface to connect your instrument to your computer. You can so this quite cheaply, there's a great thread put together by Skol >> http://basschat.co.uk/topic/248509-beginners-guide-to-home-recording/

Bass goes into Audio interface
Audio Interface goes into computer
Your bass is recorded on DAW
Headphones come out of the computer.

This is pretty much what most people will do.

This is me in the kitchen tonight while the wife watches X-factor.

Edited by Drax

Hi Drax!

I do indeed intend to record. :) The thread you mentioned was forwarded to me yesterday - the one thing I wonder is if the external audio input device gets read as a separate audio output device?

I imagine that these devices act as 'microphone' in a way, which feeds into my computer through a USB socket, and then gets output through my primary sound device. What I [u]don't[/u] want is it being a separate sound device which I need to set as primary sound device in order to hear the audio output from my instrument. If that were the case then I'd lose the computer audio instead and would have to choose one or the other.

They need to be combined, and I'm still not sure if that's the case most of the time. Thought I'd reach out and see what the deal is with this? I feel like there is something here I've missed...

Thanks for the response :),

- André

Edited by André Boström

[quote name='André Boström' timestamp='1417909115' post='2625118']
Hi Drax!

I do indeed intend to record. :) The thread you mentioned was forwarded to me yesterday - the one thing I wonder is if the external audio input device gets read as a separate audio output device?

I imagine that these devices act as 'microphone' in a way, which feeds into my computer through a USB socket, and then gets output through my primary sound device. What I [u]don't[/u] want is it being a separate sound device which I need to set as primary sound device in order to hear the audio output from my instrument. If that were the case then I'd lose the computer audio instead and would have to choose one or the other.

They need to be combined, and I'm still not sure if that's the case most of the time. Thought I'd reach out and see what the deal is with this? I feel like there is something here I've missed...

Thanks for the response :),

- André
[/quote]

You can specify the output of your computer to the usb interface, thus what you listen to can be from the computer into the interface and then listened through the headphones,monitor speakers or hifi via the interface, with the added bonus that the interface will probably have a better digital/analogue converter so that the quality is better than the computers own sound output.

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1417948845' post='2625279']
Small mixing desk i.e. Soundcraft Spirit Folio. Opens up a number of options, as you can add practically any source with the correct adaptors :) Just check the desk has a headphones out socket
[/quote]

Interesting!

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1417951972' post='2625317']
You can specify the output of your computer to the usb interface, thus what you listen to can be from the computer into the interface and then listened through the headphones,monitor speakers or hifi via the interface, with the added bonus that the interface will probably have a better digital/analogue converter so that the quality is better than the computers own sound output.
[/quote]

Alright, that makes sense!

Then I suppose what I need to find an appropriate interface. What is the most common low-mid budget module that people use? For instance, the [url="http://uk.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2"]Focusrite Scarlett 2i2[/url] which was mentioned in the recording thread seems pretty good. What do people typically like to use? I intend to record on top of drum/guitar tracks + jamming on top of music in general. Is there a dedicated thread to audio interfaces that I can dig into? :) I looked around a little bit - I guess obliviousness strikes again! :blush:

Thanks a lot for the answers so far! You people are a huge help!

- André

Ive been using a pocket rockit but its just started playing up on the headphone socket so ive ordered a Vox Amplug Bass2, which seems simple enough . I only want to use it to learn stuff and playalong to the headphone out of my mac or iPad, although I guess one could record to a pc with it at a push

Another option to perhaps consider is the Zoom B3. It's a very good multi-effects and amp-modelling pedal for bass, that also functions as a recording interface, and will allow you to play along to audio from your PC and hear the mix through your headphones. It also has a very basic drum machine built in, which I have found myself using for practice way more than I ever imagined I would. A simple looper and a tuner too. As an inexpensive one box solution it's pretty fantastic. There were quite a few good deals on second hand B3s on the forum last time I looked

Obviously something like the Scarlett 2i2 is a better choice where recording is concerned; it has two inputs, input level knobs, clipping gauges, output volume knobs, and it can record from microphones as well as an instrument. Also, the Zoom is limited to a recording quality of 44.1 kHz and 16 bit, whereas the 2i2 will do 96 kHz and 24 bit.

I have a both a Scarlett 2i2 and a B3. I use the Scarlett for recording me and my bandmates and the B3 for headphone practice. If you think you might want to expand the type of recording you do in the future, recording other instruments and vocals, or if having a higher analog to digital sampling rate and bit depth is important to you, then the 2i2 or any of the similar interfaces out there would seem like the way to go. If you just want it for headphone practising and recording your bass for yourself or demos, then the B3 would do all you need with the added advantage of being a very capable multi-effects pedal!

Edited by linear