Why become a member? ×

Bluetone Ace of Bass 4 x KT120 valve head

Kevsy71

Anyone seen or heard these Finnish heads?

[url="http://www.bluetone.fi/en/ace-of-bass/"]http://www.bluetone.fi/en/ace-of-bass/[/url]

I'm after a loud clean tone so as I understand it KT120s would be a good choice - and I love the vintage look (especially the oiled mahogany variant ). But reviews are thin on the ground - does anyone here have one?

Cheers!

Edited by Kevsy71

I've got three Matamp/Ormat kinda 'ting 300watt heads with 4 x KT120 outputs - they're frighteningly fast and very aggressive - can't comment on the bluetone heads, but they look interesting, and the price looks good....if they're a match for mine, then it's worth a punt (albeit you need to be willing to dive in to unknown waters..) - good luck!
:)

Edited by taunton-hobbit

Those amplifiers look great, I'd love to compare them with with my valve setups. I have to admit that I've found those KT120 and KT150 valves fascinating, I'm surprised there's not been more designs for musical instrument amplifiers using these tubes. Surerly a bass guitar amp is the perfect platform for such a bottle? Big, loud, clear and glassy with just a touch of compression? Yes please..

I wonder if these will physically fit in the Ashton. I also wondered if current draw for the heaters was an issue but it doesn't seem any much greater than for '88s.. Not sure I can afford 6 of those big bottles tho! Especially when there's nothing wrong with the EHX set thats currently in there.

Not sure they'd fit in the Trace either, the bottles sit fairly close to each other and it they're also in good health so that'd be a waste.

Where I'd love a pair would be in my 60 watter but thats a no-go on all counts. They wouldn't fit as one valve nearly touches the O/T as is and secondly, I'm already pushing the O/T 20-30% beyond it's original design power. I'm not sure whether the power supply would be capable of delivering anymore current either so it's probably all moot. It puts around 530v on the plates so it doesn't run the 6550s up to their limit let alone those giant bottles..

Anyone else used them in anything?

I'm in the middle of a 'discussion' with my amp tech who is doing stuff to my Matamps - he can't see why I'm using KT120s and won't have it that they are faster/more aggressive than 88s - having lived with 88s in Orange Matamps for years, I can hear the difference....but make sure that the amp is up to the extra strain.......
:)

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'm in the middle of a 'discussion' with my amp tech who is doing stuff to my Matamps[/font][/color][/quote]

Ah yes, looks like the GT200 comes with a KT120s option, [url="http://www.matamp.co.uk/amplification/gt200.htm"]http://www.matamp.co.uk/amplification/gt200.htm[/url] . Would love to A/B that with the Bluetone!

Not much help I am afraid re the Ace of Bass Amp, but the guys at Bluetone sure know what they are doing.

I dragged my vintage Oliver combo at their workshop for some TCL recently and spent a couple hours having coffee and chatting while they showed what they do in their workshop. - Old school customer service, old school attention to detail, old school craftsmanship, old school passion for what they do. All these plus some very intriguing new ideas. So, having heard what I´ve heard and seen what I´ve seen no wonder that I am seriously thinking about getting one of theirs down the line.

First I have to pick up the Oliver though before they make firewood out of it (been there for a while since I´ve been too busy to pick it up)! :D