Why become a member? ×

Markbass or Fender Rumble ?

Rusco

After deciding an extension cab is not the way forward, I've been looking at the new Fender Rumble 500 combo and both Markbass cmd 112p and 112h as upgrades on my current Ashdown mag 115.

My main criteria are lighter, louder and a bit more clarity to compete with enthusiastic guitarists and an excitable drummer with a new DW kit.

There are a few markbass threads and they seem highly thought off, especially the 112p, but wondered if anyone has used both and can explain the main difference or has tried against the fender ?.

I'm assuming they'll all be a step up from the Ashdown!

Cheers

I`ve had the 121P and it was a great little amp. Paired with the NY121 ext cab a really powerful, portable rig. The combo itself is good on its own as well though. The sound on its own is a bit uninspiring but translates incredibly well in the mix - especially when paired with a Precision, imo. They just seem to work really well together, fitting in that Ampeg-type area in the mix, as in, actually in the mix, not underneath or on top screaming "please notice me".

I`ve payed through a few Fender Rumbles and have a 15 watt practice amp and really love the tone of these amps. I`d describe them as warm and rich, no hi-fi sounds (although I don`t really look for those anyway).

Not really comparing like for like. The Fender is a Class D 2x10, the MarkBass a Class A/B single 12 in a tiny cab, although with the 112H or NY121 is a stonking rig.

Looking at the spec of the Fender, it is pretty similar to the Genz Benz Contour, and it would make sense after Fender buying Genz, and burying them, that they use the technology. I had a Contour for a while and found it massively underwhelming. In it's Combo format it would not cut it at all and my band ain't loud.
I have 2 MB rigs and of late have mainly used a 121P Combo on it's own and Di'd into the PA, or on it's own with a NY121. Never found it lacking. Loads of headroom, great tone and really cuts through as Lozz says.

I used a Fender Rumble 350 and it was great, it had a really nice punch to it and I really enjoyed playing with it.

It was going to be my next amp but what I will say is that it didnt have that quality 'feel' to it for me. It sounded great but there was that issue for me that made me go and buy a Hartke instead as that felt like I could throw it down the stairs. Thats just a personal thing though, if it feels right for you then go for it.

This was the amp head though rather than combo and not the newest version.

Edited by Weststarx

• 1 month later...

Hi, slightly old thread now but thought I'd give an update. The decision was taken out of my hands and my girfriend bought me a Marbass cmd 112p for Xmas, which was ok as the way I was heading anyway.

I have to say I agree with all the love, it's an amazing amp, amazing tone and volume and I've found it easy to get a warm thump with my Precision or a cleaner modern sound when needed by simply adjusting the two filter knobs, brilliant.

No doubt there are better amps and combos out there for the more experienced bassist but for my more modest needs I really can't see how I'd ever need anything more (until gas dictates a have to buy the NY112 extension cab obviously..)