Why become a member? ×

Using a music stand in a covers band

bonzodog

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1417954985' post='2625353']
Not too sure of that. You see any number of huge gigs where there is a monitor feeding lyrics etc to band members - mainly the singer but technology like that is present everywhere. You may not see it but it's often there.

Nathan East plummeted in my estimation when I saw him reading a 12 bar.
[/quote]

Of course I fully agree , its often there... I meant bands clearly reading charts , with a random music stand set on stage and clearly obvious to every one else.. now that's highly unprofessional and doesn't look good at all. Unless its a reading gig of course.... that's another debate...

Edited by pierreganseman

I play in both reading big bands and covers/functions band - Big band jazz you read that’s a given but my wife who also sings in that band will not sing from a stand as she is fronting the gig and it looks awful.
In our functions band after 25 years I still read 25% of the numbers, due to how many we have covered over time. But I agree with you all that it looks bad, I have in the past been down to just a handful of numbers and been known to even move from side to side :) but when you are learning new ones each week those you don't play for 6 months drop off the other end. If we did the same two 45 min sets every night I would learn them off, but we do 3 hours on average from over 200 numbers.

It seems it's an amateur thing, thinking it's unprofessional to have stands and music on stage.

A professional would do whatever he or she needs to be able to play the music, if that's having a stand with music on stage, then that's what they have.

I don't think a professional would attempt to play to an audience, unless they knew that they'd be able to play every single song without making a mistake.

:)

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1417967860' post='2625548']
Personally if I walked in the local to see a covers band and they had music stands up in front of everyone, think I would try the next pub.
[/quote]

Yep.......... not really the type of band that are going to be giving it some..
A track or two is ok with a cheat sheet, but not stands.
Same goes for vocal harmonisers as well :lol:

Interesting thread. I play in a pubs & clubs covers band, and there's only me and the drummer who play from memory: guitar, keyboards and vocals all have stands. I think it looks bad, especially as I'm a crap bass player who only picked the instrument up a couple of years ago after a lay-off of 20 years, and if I can manage to remember the songs then anyone can.

This thread forwarded to our lead singer- thank you! Having a stand doesn't stop him, or my wife who shares vocal duties being great on stage but it does make us look half baked on first look and it really messes photos and video of live shows.

I cant agree that its the difference between amateur and pro bands, I've seen FAR more pro level bands with stands.

Heres a thing, if your band is so good no one should be watching the band unless they are up on a proper stage, if you are a good function/covers band the view should be obscured by all the people dancing, just sayin' ;)

Personally if I walked in the local to see a covers band and they had music stands up in front of everyone, think I would try the next pub.
[/quote]
If you had walked in here you wouldn't have seen the band below head height until we finished playing, if you could see the whole band clearly I'd agree the next pub is in order :)
[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/20141101_234638_zps3wbpmcxo.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/20141101_234638_zps3wbpmcxo.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Different band, whos looking at the music stand?
[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10/20141031_213317_zpsk4wrimuv.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10/20141031_213317_zpsk4wrimuv.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1417974644' post='2625656']
I always take a music stand with me onstage..... Mine has a mirror on it so I can look at myself while performing knowing that I'm far superior to those around me. ;o)
[/quote]

You're obviously a lead vocalist. So what are you doing here...on a bass forum ??? ;)[size=4] [/size][size=4] :P[/size]

I think any good covers band shouldn't use music stands unless there's a valid reason (like if they have a VERY last minute addition the set, for a wedding etc, or have someone depping at the very last minute who needs structures handy or similar!)... Our band leader has a music stand with an iPad on that he uses to control the offstage mixer for sound so that's acceptable too in my opinion. Also, if it's appropriate to your repertoire then fair enough. Jazz bands who improv tunes and have specific stuff to go through and it fits the aesthetic of the group, fair enough. If you're a dad-rock covers band trying to rock the WMC in your best jeans and Zeppelin tee combo, then it'll look a bit out of place.

In reality, nobody is even there for the music. They're there for the bingo and the music is just a pleasant time killer in between. They won't care if you're using a bassoon, as long as you shut up when the bingo is on and don't run over so that they can have their cig on time!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1417954985' post='2625353'] Not too sure of that. You see any number of huge gigs where there is a monitor feeding lyrics etc to band members - mainly the singer but technology like that is present everywhere. [u][b]You may not see it but it's often there.[/b][/u] Nathan East plummeted in my estimation when I saw him reading a 12 bar. [/quote]

And that's ok.
I'm not against players using something to help them if they want to, as long as it is done in a way that it's not obtrusive and the players look like they're actually involved with the audience.

Some bands will knock out dancing in the moonlight and alright now as they have done for the last thirty years and want a pat on the back for not using a stand or a cheat sheet just out of sight from the punters. I had 28 songs to learn for my first gig with the party band in the picture above in about two weeks while gigging with another band, all the keys were changed even on the ones I knew a bit anyway, I had a set list with notes made by each song stuck to the rear of the speaker cab that I glanced at once per song.

My view is that they take up, more than often, very precious stage space. They also make the stage quite cluttered and are a hazard. They are always being knocked over, somehow become magentic to wood and then crash into your instruments...drums tend to be their preferred target.

If you cant remember what you need to play then practice more until you do. The more that you are looking at your stand the less aware you are of what is happening around you. Plus, you do look like a bit of a zombie whilst your eyes are constantly fixed on what is on the music stand, which is kinda boring for the punters to watch.

If you need a music stand to see your set list, print another with a bigger font so that you can see it on the floor. It's not rocket science.

That said, I think it's acceptable for a singer to use a music stand. To remember lyrics for a set with 30 odd songs is quite tough, especially if you constantly change your set. That's a challenge for most singers.

Maybe slightly off topic, but I just got in from seeing Ex Cathedra performing Handel's Messiah at Birmingham symphony hall, an absolutely amazing performance.

There were 70 people on stage, that's singers and the baroque orchestra, all highly trained, talented and experienced musicians and singers, everyone had music stands in front of them, except the choir, they were holding their music.

It's the music that counts, you either listen to it, or dance to it, who gives a **** whether the musician has a music stand with anything on it !

Edited by ambient

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1417984944' post='2625781']
I'm going to make an announcement at my next gig: 'Please stop dancing and instead watch me not using a music stand'.

Actually, perhaps I won't bother because normal audiences really do not care about music stands one way or the other.
[/quote]
this^

[/quote]

Why ?

The band with charts may sound amazing, the band without may sound crap. Let your ears decide, not your eyes.

:)